Learn English Grammar From A–Z
nounplural alluviums, plural alluvia
- Many vineyards are located on valley bottoms underlain by alluvium which can provide deep, free-draining soils of variable grain size.
- The measured soil parameters at the sites were within the normal range for bottomland hardwood soils of Mississippi River alluvium.
- In the east, which is lower and flatter, river gravels and alluvium from the North Sea have produced dark, rich soils.
- Some of these low-lying areas, with waterlogged deposits blanketed by alluvium, have provided good evidence for Roman farming.
- The upper region of the Camargue, blessed with rich alluvium soil, has been cultivated since the Middle Ages.