Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1(sistema que permite a los electores votar según el orden de sus preferencias dentro de una lista de candidatos, otorgándose la victoria al que logra la mayoría absoluta o lo hace en recuentos sucesivos, previa eliminación de los candidatos minoritarios) voto alternativo masculine
- Ministers will this week confirm plans to hold a referendum next year on adopting the alternative vote system for electing MPs.
- Unfortunately the voting system they favour the alternative vote (AV) has serious weaknesses.
- The proposals for electoral reform by the 1998 Jenkins commission combine the Australian system of the alternative vote with a small top-up to ensure greater proportionality.
- There is a case, he concedes, for the alternative vote, a one, two, three listing of candidates in order of preference.
- Instead of complaining about constituency boundaries, the Conservatives should back a referendum on the alternative vote.
- I believe the alternative vote system will help rebuild the trust and authority given to our elected representatives.
- Other proposals include a referendum on adopting the alternative vote system and a free vote on reducing the voting age to 16.
- A debate is under way among ministers, kicking around the alternative vote (AV) system, which allows voters to name their second as well as first choice.
- The party's approach to the alternative vote will be a test of whether Labour can win real power and whether it deserves to
- Under proportional representation, even with a tame alternative vote system, it would be worth citizens' while to go out and vote for a party closer to their views.
- "The alternative vote has many attractions, including the fact that you have to get 50 % plus one in that constituency, therefore you have a greater legitimacy," he said.
- There will be a referendum on introducing the alternative vote system for elections.
- Second preferences on the alternative vote ballot paper are expected to be decisive.
- There is a debate raging about whether to hold a referendum on the day of the next election to switch from the current first past the post voting system to the alternative vote.
- This afternoon MPs will vote on the third reading of the constitutional renewal and governance bill amended to offer a national referendum on the alternative vote (AV).
- The promised referendum on changing to the alternative vote (AV) electoral system must happen, and happen soon.
- The alternative vote takes on the considerable strengths of our system and I suggest, builds on it.