Learn English Grammar From A–Z
- The whole process is called an amniocentesis, or amnio, in the vernacular.
- In amniocentesis, the health care provider inserts a thin needle through the woman's abdomen.
- Between the 15th and 18th weeks of pregnancy, the mother can also have an amniocentesis to screen for the Tay-Sachs gene.
- With Down syndrome, an amniocentesis or a blood test can't tell us how severe the disabilities might be.
- The purpose of the serial amniocentesis is to prevent preterm labor and thereby extend the pregnancy.
- The karyotype obtained from an amniocentesis was normal.
- The side-effects of an amniocentesis can include some mild pain or cramps in the tummy.
- If the father cannot be found or refuses to take part it is possible to test the fetus by amniocentesis.
- An alternative method of viewing this is that 1 in 57 amniocenteses resulted in a diagnosis of Down's syndrome.
- Prenatal tests including amniocentesis and ultrasound may help to determine whether the fetus is infected.
- That means that about one woman in every 100 having an amniocentesis will suffer a miscarriage as a result.
- An amniocentesis was performed and revealed a normal karyotype.
- Early amniocentesis offers a similar advantage, but the fetal loss rate associated with this technique is higher than that of chorionic villus sampling.
- My husband and I stated that we would not undergo an amniocentesis and were given a highly sophisticated ultrasound instead.
- The risk of fetal loss from amniocentesis should be discussed.
- From the moment we saw the sonogram and read the results of the amniocentesis, the debate had been joined.
- While amniocentesis can diagnose hundreds of diseases and conditions, it is most effective when the laboratory is instructed to look for a specific condition.
- Occasionally, intersex conditions are diagnosed before birth, through amniocentesis, or occasionally, by an ultrasound.
- But, the baby's fine, just too close to the interior walls, thus making an amniocentesis too risky for the baby.
- Waiting two weeks for the result of an amniocentesis can be very stressful, even if you have every reason to believe that you and your baby are healthy.