Learn English Grammar From A–Z
- The way the monks moved echoed the antiphons of the psalms themselves.
- For each Psalm an antiphon is given as a recurring theme phrase to be sung by the choir or the people.
- From these he inwardly confected a honey of antiphons, responsories, hymns, and other items pertaining to the Office and stored it in the hive of his wax tablets.
- Norbert sang the antiphons and censed the sanctuary - I felt as though I was moving about in a dark room where strange figures brushed up against my shoulders, and strange voices guided me along.
- Prime refers to the Divine Office, the regimen of worship separated into daily ‘hours’ - those psalms, canticles, hymns, responsories, antiphons, and so on, distinct from the mass.
- Much less attention was paid, for example, to his polychoral works (including masses, psalms, antiphons, and sequences), some of which stand apart from the better-known pieces through such aspects as their greater rhythmic animation.
- Evening Prayer II for August 15 features this antiphon: ‘The Virgin Mary was taken up to the heavenly bridal chamber where the King of kings is seated on a starry throne.’
- The far-travelling bishop, kings-kin, and his priests arrayed in white and purple-royal sang antiphons as we neared the church.
- Traditionally sung as an antiphon in honour of the Blessed Virgin, Rubbra places it directly after the account of Christ's appearance to Mary Magdalene in the garden.
- The need for supportive materials would be endless: composing music for the psalm antiphons, choral settings for verses and offertories, organ pieces based on the new hymnic and liturgical music, and music for the Easter Vigil.
- One of the antiphons for Aunemund's liturgy at Saint-Nizier makes such a move.
- Fair coverage, would include, not just the antipodes singing their antiphons of dissent, but a much fuller range of opinions and perspectives.
- Carla Gottlieb years ago identified the text along the edge of Mary's garment in two of the four panels, the Visitation and the Presentation in the Temple, as from a Marian antiphon sung at the Feast of the Purification.
- This is reflected in the choice of prayers, psalms, versicles, and antiphons.
- In this almost totally integrated work, Monteverdi included five vesper psalm settings along with solo motets which he used as substitutes for the antiphons which would normally have been chanted between the psalms.
- On the day I saw the exhibit, this hand-copied book was open to the Magnificat antiphon for Vespers on Septuagesima Sunday.
- His comment on the hymn itself traces its wording to several passages of Revelation and notes how the antiphon relates the hymn to the Eucharistic banquet of which it is a part.
- many conservative Catholics mumble the antiphon at Mass and let the words roll off them like water off a duck's back.
- So the choir and the procession of ministers would be accompanied by the singing of, in this instance a Gregorian chant, interestingly in this particular chant, what we have in fact is the antiphon, from the Book of Wisdom.
- Light plays a key role throughout the altarpiece, and the word's absence perhaps explains why there is no text from the antiphon at all in Daret's Nativity.