Learn English Grammar From A–Z
- Human science employs somewhat similar procedures to produce what are called antitoxins, protein antibodies, to certain microorganisms.
- Some antibodies are antitoxins, which directly neutralize any toxins secreted by the antigens.
- For example, antitoxins, like tetanus antitoxin, are made by injecting horses with a small amount of the toxin so that the animal produces the antibodies.
- The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and some state health departments keep a supply of antitoxin against botulinum toxin.
- Antivenoms and antitoxins can also be administered in this fashion.