Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1cuerno masculine(with masculine article in the singular) asta femininethe animal's antlers — la cornamenta del animal
- Except for female caribou, only male deer grow antlers, which they shed each year.
- One possibility is sexual selection: a brightly colored male fish or a male deer sporting large antlers may have a better chance of attracting or fighting for mates than males that lack such traits.
- Female reindeer rule over males during the short season when males have shed their antlers prior to growing new ones and the females have not yet shed theirs.
- The mammalian liver can regenerate if a part of it is removed, the antlers of male deer regenerate each year, and fractured bones can mend by a regenerative process.
- Female reindeer are the only deer species to grow antlers as well as the male, but they only sprout in winter.
- If you remember your zoology classes well, a ‘stag’ is also a male deer, with antlers.
- Meanwhile, Lister cast doubt on another possible explanation for the deer's demise - the male's huge antlers.
- The antler measurement provides a very precise time for the death of this animal, since caribou form and cast their antlers annually, and females keep theirs throughout the winter.
- The ditch around Stonehenge would have been dug using animal bones and deer antlers to loosen the underlying chalk.
- The antlers of the giant deer, or Irish elk, grew as large as 10 feet across.
- Reindeer, both wild and semi-domesticated, are the only members of the deer family in which both sexes grow antlers.
- A Venetian-style chandelier cast from deer antlers was suspended above.
- Teeth from a woolly rhino were also found, with a reindeer antler and a deer bone that had been split to extract the marrow.
- After the fuzzy velvet is stripped off (sometimes in sparring matches which precede the rut), the antlers of both males and females become a pure, shining white.
- Remedies to right the imbalance include snake gallbladder, powdered deer antlers, and rhinoceros horn, as well as hundreds of different combinations of herbs.
- None of the women, but three of the five men in the drawing have horns on their head; the elaborate branched antlers of the stag, curling horns of rams, and the pronged horns of the antelope.
- The principal season for deer harvest was August to January, based on patterns of mandibular tooth eruption and antlers attached to male crania.
- Naked bone, such as antlers become after velvet is shed, cannot function in heat transmission because their blood supply is lost.
- In most cervids, only males have antlers (but both sexes bear them in caribou).
- Bulls and cows in the Tsaatan herd grow velvety racks of antlers.