Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1apóstata masculine, feminine
- We may earnestly believe that they're wrong - whether they're non-Christians, heretics, apostates, agnostics, atheists, or what have you.
- If the term ‘Christian’ is taken to include heretics, schismatics, and baptized apostates, it would still appear that most are damned.
- The importance of apostates and other religious dissidents is crucial.
- Defectors and apostates can't be fined, flogged or banished.
- It clearly would cover any incitement of hatred by the religious against its heretics, apostates, or members of other faiths.
- As Rose writes of the professor, ‘He was drawn to schismatics, fiery heretics, apostates - the lunatics of history.’
- We still live in an age of martyrs and heroic saints, of apostates and world-weary skeptics.
- But is it reasonable, or just an article of faith in the marriage religion, that apostates must all be cynics or manipulators?
- Additionally, it should be obvious that this passage is not commanding apostates be put to death by the fact that the early church obviously did not execute apostates.
- Those who didn't accept were considered apostates.
- Some were maligned as apostates or heretics, and a few were imprisoned, allegedly for transgressing societal mores.
- I see there are also websites run by ex-vegans, apostates as it were, who left the fold chiefly for health reasons.
- All of these have been proclaimed as a licence to kill infidels or apostates, or anyone who just gets in the way…
- The problem is compounded by the fact that pretty much all orthodox religious establishments tend to be well organised, lavishly funded, and take a robust line against dissenters and apostates.
- They were, inevitably, deposed from office, expelled from the order, and excommunicated - so becoming, ironically, apostates themselves.
- Unalloyed enthusiasm for anything is bound to be a mistake, so thank goodness for the critics, the skeptics, the second-thought-havers, and even the outright apostates.
- Unlike communism and socialism, trade unionism has rarely inspired published ‘second thoughts’ by embittered apostates.
- Career counselors, she argued, have to find ways to persuade unemployed Ph.D.'s to believe that the outside world is not evil and that they are not apostates if they do something besides teaching and research.