Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1(agree)to approve of sth/sbdo you approve? — ¿le parece bien?
2(agree formally)dar su aprobacióndar su visto buenoif the boss approves, we can start immediately — si el jefe da su aprobación / su visto bueno, podemos empezar inmediatamente
- Councillors agreed to approve the proposals, so care home residents would not be disturbed by construction work.
- If the Parliament approves proposals, it is possible for the Council to pass legislation by a majority vote instead of requiring unanimous approval from the members of the Council.
- A huge expansion of a busy supermarket has been approved by planning officials.
- When, in the course of administering town planning, a public planning authority approves an application by or on behalf of a landholder to use land for a more intensive use, the value of the land is increased.
- The European Parliament approves the EU's budget, and co-decides most EU legislation with the Council of Ministers, which comprises the 15 member states.
- The parliament promulgates laws, approves the national budget, monitors the legality of governmental activities, and, in concert with the president, exerts legislative power.
- The regulations must be laid before Parliament and are to lapse at the end of 7 days unless in that time each House of Parliament passes a resolution approving them.
- Other citizens in attendance support the plan, and the committee approves the proposal.
- If our budget proposals are not approved by the House, we can use the previous budget.
- If they approve the proposals, the plans will go to the Scottish Executive for consideration.
- If councillors approve the latest proposals to the district plan it could be adopted by the end of May.
- Members voted to approve the plans claiming the proposals were in accordance with policy and that there was both local and historic interest.
- These potentially conflicting imperatives can be reconciled if the senate approves course descriptions whenever relevant professional standards have been satisfied.
- All three have said they proposed to approve the plans, subject to the Secretary of State's views.
- What we have here as a problem is a lack of prudence in approving a loan proposal.
- School trustees may have scored a goal with young athletes Monday night, approving a specialized sports course to be launched from Palmer secondary this fall.
- ‘Even if the Committee, Council and the State Government approves our proposal, we will have to clear all legal hurdles before we implement it,’ the official added.
- Despite this presidential warning shot, the Senate narrowly approved both amendments.
- The Prime Minister approved the request on 9 February 1962.
- The authority has a month to decide either to approve the merger or to carry out a more detailed investigation.
1(sanction, agree)(decision/plan/action) aprobarthe plan has finally been approved by the board — el plan ha sido finalmente aprobado por la junta
2(officially recognize)(institution) acreditaran approved campsite/method — un camping/método autorizado
3formal(agree with)estar de acuerdo conI can't say I approve his methods — no puedo decir que estoy de acuerdo con sus métodos