The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
See Spanish definition of ascendiente
1ascendiente masculine formalto have the ascendancy over sb/sth formal — tener / ejercer ascendiente sobre algn/algothe Protestant ascendancy — la supremacía protestante
- The ascendency of Hardwicke's position was aided by two factors in addition to Fortescue's retirement.
- The problem of translation has become a moral question of linguistic ascendancy.
- Following his downfall, the conservatives in economic and religious positions are in the ascendancy.
- His critics say he should resign because he has lost the moral ascendancy to govern and to save the plummeting economy from collapse.
- He sums up with thoughts on the ascendancy of the power of nature.
- But he was fully convinced that the first two would be best served by the continued ascendancy of the third.
- Dodging this question is a way of avoiding the most important dilemma of film's ascendancy: can a popular form of entertainment also produce art?
- Falkirk's ascendancy continued but they had goalkeeper Ferguson to thank for their clean sheet.
- I feel much of the conflict is that of old structures fighting to keep hold their dominance against the ascendancy of the new paradigm.
- The goal is to win political ascendancy and control the political agenda.
- In England, from the later middle ages, justices of the peace rose to ascendancy as county authorities, marginalizing sheriffs.
- Yet his ascendancy was not as smooth and unchallenged as might have been expected.
- If you are interested in affecting public discourse, watch out - you may gain ascendency in certain circles, but you're just as likely to marginalize yourself instead.
- Cities often stumble onto projects and developments that turn them around, delivering them from a period of decline to one of ascendancy.
- Ghastly pale, hovering like a ghoul, he looks as if evil has his heart in a vise. Even in his ascendancy you would never envy him.
- The retailer's ascendancy was expected after both companies issued their 2001 results earlier this year.
- Yet farmer-led movements for sustainable agriculture are also in ascendancy.
- Suburban car culture is gaining ascendancy in Toronto, as can be seen on every corner.
- By that stage even the Federal and High Courts will be starting to reflect the conservative ascendancy.
- The two groups have jockeyed for position ever since, with Sistani's forces in the ascendancy recently.
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!