Learn English Grammar From A–Z
- As a rule of thumb, it's hard to go wrong with classics like the parlour palm, dracaenas, rubber plants, aspidistra (I've always fancied a variegated one), cacti, succulents and the umbrella plant.
- More than 26,000 people made the trip to inspect the acers and aspidistras at what is fast becoming one of the best, and best-loved, horticultural events in the North of England.
- Ivy and aspidistras make excellent hall companions, as do bowls of spring buds that can later be transplanted outside.
- If you had to name one item that might symbolise the Victorian drawing room, you might opt for the aspidistra plant, seen in most Victorian households.
- As English as an aspidistra in the bay window of a bungalow, Orwell grew to love and loathe his heritage in equal measure.
- There are those on bicycles and charabancs, in schoolrooms, around maypoles, and beside aspidistras.
- These were recorded in 1949, and are excellently performed, although, as far as the music goes, they belong next to the potted aspidistra in the front foyer.
- The proper pastoral response would have been to accept it and drink it happily, or (if that was really impossible) pour it on the aspidistra.
- We do not know what it showed - but something more exciting than two frozenly rigid, ceremonially dressed adults alongside an aspidistra.
- Damian had to carefully move a large aspidistra in order to squeeze into the room behind Hans-Raoul, and Sally glared at him as he did so.
- The Cabinet Room looked like a war zone - pie crusts everywhere and Frank sobbing quietly into the aspidistra.
- In the far corner, against the washbasin, stood a large aspidistra.
- You might have thought that I was actually getting out of the lift to inspect the aspidistra in the hallway.
- Maybe it would be better to put an aspidistra on it and call it a feature.
- He said that, once, no home would have been complete without an aspidistra in the living room.
- This was furnished only with a dark wood stand, topped by a substantial aspidistra.
- Line vases with aspidistra leaf and focus attention on the flowers by hiding the stems.
- He watched as Alicia left the restaurant, then he rushed out into the foyer and hid behind a large potted aspidistra from where he could see the road.