Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1.1(violence)agresión feminineassault and battery — agresión con lesiones
- In that case the appellant had been convicted of assault occasioning actual bodily harm by harassing his female victim.
- The father was charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm, but was acquitted.
- He has previous convictions for theft, robbery and assault causing actual bodily harm.
- He admitted a charge of assault causing actual bodily harm.
- The incident is being treated as an assault causing actual bodily harm.
1.2(molestation) agresión sexual feminine(molestation) ataque contra la libertad sexual masculine(rape) violación feminine
- Less than three weeks later he was reported for a physical assault on a young boy.
- Physical assault on women by intimate partners is recognized widely as a leading cause of injury to women in the United States.
- Other recent violent attacks include an assault on a couple who asked two boys to switch off their mobile phones during a film.
- In 1885 corporal punishment was included in section four of the Criminal Law Amendment Act as the penalty for a sexual assault on a girl under thirteen years of age.
- The sexual assault on two young girls highlighted in a sad and pathetic way that the town is not getting the required resources to tackle what seems to be a constant rise in violence in the area.
- We received a complaint of a sexual assault on a young girl and had to respond with whatever resources were available to us.
- On September 21, 2001 he committed a sexual assault on an unconscious man with a weapon.
- Though the police spared him from physical assault on realising that they had arrested the wrong person, it took him nearly one month to secure his release.
- Any obstruction or physical assault on his person, while discharging his official duties, should be viewed seriously.
- Others are controlled by threats to themselves and their families back home; and others are coerced through brutal physical and sexual assaults.
- Two vicious crimes, a serious sexual assault and a brutal attack, happened at almost the same time in different parts of town.
- Police described it as a minor physical assault on a juvenile, apparently after some provocation.
- The 1999 incident represented the third physical assault on the courageous activist in recent years.
- The attack was the latest assault on the majority Shiite community.
- Sexual assault and violence toward women were taboo subjects and under-reported.
- Sexual assault is usually violence at the hands of someone the victim knows.
- ‘A woman was arrested for an alleged assault on a man,’ a spokesman said.
- The arrested woman was detained in connection with an allegation of controlling prostitutes for gain and also on suspicion of a violent assault on another woman.
- On every fifth day, an average teacher will be assaulted or witness an assault on staff.
- Activities such as theft can lead the offenders to worse crimes like homicide and sexual assaults.
2.1Militaryasalto masculineataque masculineto make an assault on sth — atacar algo
- assault craft — barcaza de asalto
- assault troops — tropas de asalto
- On another occasion during his 11-month tour he led three assaults on an enemy position until it finally fell.
- He might have escaped when the boats first started the assault on the house.
- A military assault on the country cannot be ruled out - at least in the long term.
- Last week hundreds of these soldiers launched an assault on their own military headquarters.
- Least of all should we cheer-lead a military assault on an already terrified, bloody and starving country.
- In response, the army launched a military assault on the facility in which the men were being held, demolishing parts of the building.
- I began to write a response - from the safety of my nice cosy flat - when the news came through that the military assault had begun.
- Rockets and automatic fire stream over your head as you try and hold off the assault on your position.
- Both Indian and Pakistan forces found that an assault on well-defended positions was extremely costly.
- Owing to the fact that modem operations have an air-land character, combating enemy airborne assault and raid forces is acquiring special urgency.
- As battles raged across the city centre, 15 militants mounted an assault on a police station near the airport.
- Troops also faked attacks before the assault to confuse enemy fighters.
- The player will be presented with a wide array of scenarios, from VIP rescue missions to stealth incursions to full frontal assaults against hordes of enemies.
- The series begins with a ferocious military assault.
- The men moved off in small groups towards their assault positions.
- The city fell just 21 days after the initial assaults, and military analysts describe the campaign as historic, even brilliant.
- Excessive speed may require that the MICLIC spend more time at the assault position rather than moving quickly forward to fire.
- There is nothing wrong with employing a brigade to conduct a raid or as the assault element of a major encroachment.
- So can we expect an military assault version of the two-wheeled wonder?
- Frontal assaults were always attempted as a last resort, but they were costly, and their failures eroded political resolve back home.
- assault craft — barcaza de asalto
2.2(onslaught)ataque masculinearremetida feminineassault on sth — ataque a algo
— arremetida contra algo
- an assault on Everest
- the firm is preparing for an assault on the market
- After breakfast, and another sitting, I bundled up and attempted the assault on Marga Point.
- These are hectic days for him and the Irish Chamber Orchestra is now primed for a serious assault on the competitive world of concert performances.
1(use violence against)agrediratacar
- He later pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer and was sentenced to one day in jail.
- He pleaded guilty to assaulting the sergeant on June 24.
- A teaching assistant has been cleared of assaulting a teenager who bombarded his house with snowballs.
- One of the allegations was that an educator was still using corporal punishment and had recently assaulted learners by slapping and punching them.
- But his character towards her quickly changed as he began regularly assaulting her, including punching her in the stomach causing her to lose their baby.
- The gang assaulted the couple with clubs, pliers and a torch.
- Several activists were even assaulted by delegates who punched and kicked them before the Secret Service arrested them.
- In August last year staff were threatened by gunmen and customers made to lie on the floor by four men who stole thousands of pounds and assaulted one worker.
- He also assaulted a woman by slapping her when she refused to give him money.
- The men assaulted the guards, knocking the male to the floor and kicking and punching him while pointing a gun at him.
- Apparently, on Sunday, August 18, he assaulted his wife, beating her up pretty badly.
- Police were today hunting two men after a man was viciously assaulted and knocked unconscious outside a nightspot.
- Groups of teenagers slap or otherwise assault unsuspecting members of the public and record the incident on their camera phones.
- When military forces are assaulting civilians, commanders often try to prevent media from telling true stories with pictures and words.
- The Executive is considering introducing legislation to make it an offence to obstruct or assault any emergency worker carrying out his or her job.
- Police today retraced the steps of a vicious gang who assaulted two guards before raiding a security van for thousands of pounds of cash.
- Militants assaulted business managers and extorted money they claimed was compensation for unfair dismissals.
- As a teenager, he faced his first court judgement after assaulting the local parish priest.
- In the parking lot of the center, Alice was assaulted, knocked down, and her purse was stolen.
- The claimant was a police officer who alleged that a fellow police officer sexually assaulted her while they were both off duty.