The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
1auto de fe masculine
- They are then dressed in the traditional garb for heretics punished in an auto-da-fé.
- Impenitents - heretics burned at the stake during autos-da-fé - wore black san benitos decorated with devils and flames.
- The recent autos-da-fé, however, should serve as reminders of the region's turbulent past and warnings of a possible return to violence and instability in the near future.
- Putting down his tray, he let out a series of strangulated, guttural screams and jerked his arms in a chilling imitation of an auto-da-fé.
- Pangloss explains that he wasn't burned as was customary at an auto-da-fé because of the rain.
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!