Learn English Grammar From A–Z
- That's why in dictatorships or autocratic regimes those in power move quickly to suppress a free press.
- It will not be possible for anything like these figures to go through unless the Government takes autocratic powers, and uses them to the full.
- But in other areas there will be total chaos because none of these autocratic rulers have any line of succession.
- As President he had power and patronage enough to secure by intimidation and bribery the promulgation of a constitution which gave him autocratic power.
- A global democracy where most of the world is excluded by their own autocratic rulers is scarcely worth having.
- Democratic movements had started out with the noble intentions of ending the tyranny of autocratic rulers.
- Other political figures insisted that no changes be made to the autocratic 1945 constitution that gives the president wide powers.
- It has often been termed a socialistic empire, for it was an aristocratic and autocratic socialism, not a democratic one.
- Friedrich was an autocratic ruler; he gave his ministers and generals no real responsibility.
- Remember how the autocratic ruler managed to cling on to power after a controversial war, and waged long and bloody battles against the French?
- The upsurge of hundreds of thousands of ordinary people forced the government out, destroyed a centuries-old autocratic monarchy and ended the war.
- The attempts to subvert the constitution and establish an autocratic form of rule have been on the agenda for quite some time.
- This time democratic rather than autocratic states are determining the shape of the new world.
- It was deployed by autocratic rulers as an instrument of deep and vast social control.
- These are dictatorial and autocratic procedures.
- Elsewhere in the world, when autocratic or undemocratic regimes have passed away, audiences for foreign radio always go into steep decline as the local media improve.
- Aid to autocratic regimes often fuels corruption and impedes reform.
- Before the elections, no objections had been aired about the party's constitution or its autocratic structure.
- An autocratic regime had survived, but the confidence and the security it had once possessed had cracked.
- Even the most autocratic regime must, at the very least, concern itself with popular disorder.