Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1(in US)(donde máquinas automáticas despachan la comida) cafetería feminine
- When the detective in The Erasers eats lunch, it is in an automat where food is reduced to ‘cubes’ and ‘replicas.’
- Fueled by the nickels of new legions of white collar workers and immigrants who could not speak English and therefore could not order at a restaurant, the automat prospered in the early 1900s and handily survived the Depression.
- By the 1920s, some restaurants and automats were heavily populated with gay men, especially late at night, and a few places openly catered to them.
- A lone female figure sits alone drinking in an automat, an area supplied with vending machines that is pure Americana.
- When we got back from lunch, I realised I'd left mine back in the automat.