Learn English Grammar From A–Z
que pasa de lo sublime a lo prosaico y trivial
- Yes, it could be shorter, even though some story lines are crudely truncated, and the four false endings are a bathetic anti-climax, but Jackson's journey benefits from the lulls.
- This line could be a motto for his work, which uses unremarkable language to great effect - here registering a disappointment so pervasive that even its expression is bathetic.
- The ‘fear’ argument is absurd, bathetic, and self-congratulatory.
- The contrast between this astonishing piece of political theatre, televised around the planet, and another event a couple of days later, is so staggering, it is bathetic to mention them in the same column.
- With its energetic cast and insistent street score, it still manages to be poignant without becoming bathetic, and violent without being exploitative.