Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1History Religionpertiguero masculine
- We also hear of a beadle in 1389 (this may have been when the office was created), a nightwatchman in 1406, and a clerk may be inferred from the recording of the electoral courts; however, these officers were appointed, not elected.
- The verbal announcement of auctions by beadles, often accompanied by bells and drums, was common in both town and country.
- Yet Oliver did want more; he knew what would land in his plate, if the beadle consented to his request, but he asked anyway.
- They were led by their officers, town clerk Graham Gittins, borough beadle Alfie Johnson and mace bearers Tony Sansom and Derek Smithers.
- This ‘musical thriller’ can be a large-scale, sceptical swoop on the great wen, taking in everyone from beggar to beadle.
- There are the parish vestry, the parish infirmary, the parish surgeon, the parish officers, the parish beadle.
2BritishUniversitybedel masculine, feminine