The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
See Spanish definition of frijol
1.1(fresh, in pod)
- We went to Notcutts and bought some compost since my bean seedlings are growing into triffids and need planting out ASAP.
- About half the nation's $629 million dry edible bean crop is grown in those two states and Michigan.
- There are also shell beans (lima, navy, kidney, mung, garbanzo and soya) that you can grow just for the bean seeds inside the pod.
- In another experiment, bean plants grown from seed given increasing fractions of heavy water showed stunted growth compared with control plants given normal water.
- Black eyed beans - small white kidney shaped bean with black spot at the sproutingpoint.
- Adding educational content to the performance, audience members are presented with some seeds, cottonwool and directions on how to grow the beans.
- Occupation and instruction, without dullness, can be provided by giving the students a plot of ground for growing things in - not a bed for the bean seed only, but a miniature market garden.
- The beans are the seeds of the leguminous soybean plant.
- They speak Quechua, the language of the Incas, herd alpaca and llamas and grow potatoes and beans, which they trade with their lowland neighbours for corn.
- Smaller than kidney beans, red beans have a unique oval shape and are typically used in chili products and mixes.
- It differs in several ways from small, red, dry beans now grown, beginning with improved resistance to bean common mosaic viruses.
- He said he expects much of his work will involve Great Northern beans, as well as pintos and other types of dry edible beans.
- The climate of the country allows beans to grow during most of the year, so they are a natural for inclusion in many dishes.
- It could be toast or a tin of beans, and we drink tea.
- All of the organic grains - wheat, spelt, dry edible beans - are big on the international market now.
- As a youngster growing up in Salford he would eat only beans on toast.
- She returned a few minutes later with some boiled yam, an onion and tomato sauce, fried plantain and a bean casserole.
- Prior to this face saving embrace of bona fide produce, I considered potatoes and red beans the only edible vegetables.
- These inhibitors are small proteins found in many plant seeds such as beans, a food regularly eaten by humans.
- Despite my best efforts I have failed to consume 20 kg of pasta, 30 jars of peanut butter and 50 tins of beans in the last month.
1.2(dried)frijol masculinealubia feminine Spainjudía feminine Spainporoto masculine Southern Conecaraota feminine Venezuela
1.3coffee beangrano (de café) masculine
2.1mainly British (scrap, trace)she told us nothing, not a bean! — ¡no nos dijo ni pío! informal
- it isn't worth a bean — no vale nada
- Having the world's best beans doesn't mean beans unless they are roasted correctly.
- When it comes to small businesses, the net profit doesn't mean beans because the seller is doing everything possible to keep this number low to avoid taxes.
- There really isn't much to recycle in the ordinary light bulb, even the combination of glass and metal doesn't amount to beans.
- Moravia that took her in and gave her a diploma as a social worker, even though she didnt know beans about social work, or much else, for that matter.
- I had heard of gout, but I didnt know beans about it.
- it isn't worth a bean — no vale nada
2.2beans plural(money)platita feminine Latin America informalcuartos masculine Spain informalquintos masculine Mexico informal
- I don't think Selina would even bid one bean for me.
- Lio and Tracy have just spent their entire savings buying their first house and don't have a bean to spend on décor.
- I have not one bean to my name after the UK jaunt.
- I personally wouldn't spend a bean on Africa and nor would I vote for a party which made it a main plank of its manifesto.
- Rumour has it he never spent a bean in his life.
2.3US (head)coco masculine informalmate masculine South America informal
- You gotta use your bean to get this right so, as they say in the military, listen up.
- Every time you make a decision, take any action on your own responsibility, give and order or use your bean, you are preparing yourself for greater opportunities.
- Why doesn't Foley use his bean and draft legislation prohibiting tornadoes from entering or coming near to trailer parks?
1to bean sb — darle un porrazo / un mamporro en la cabeza a algn informal
- That felt better until a bunch of 12-year-olds started beaning me in the head with their tubes.
- During the fifth inning though she was beaned by the ball while the opponent was at bat.
- They're still waiting, in part because his 1998 season was ruined when he was beaned at midseason, and then he struggled with his confidence.
- Coincidentally or not, he was beaned the day after his record-setting production of 18 total bases by Clem Labine of the Dodgers.
- He grabbed her wrists and pulled her in to kiss the place where he had beaned her and leaned her head back while faking a grimace.
- Didn't see anything like that, though I was almost beaned by a falling pinecone.
- I fell on some poor girl in the audience and beaned her in the head with my guitar.
- About a week later, Passeau, while warming up before a game, and after enduring a torrent of abuse from Durocher, suddenly wheeled and fired the ball into the Dodger dugout, nearly beaning the Brooklyn manager.
- I had a very strong urge to bean her with a rock, because underneath the pier is littered with big ones, but I resisted.
- Life has a way of throwing curve balls and John [Hager] got beaned by one when he acquired polio as an adult and lost the use of his legs.
- In case you've lost your memory after being beaned in the head during a game of quidditch, the long-awaited sixth Harry Potter novel will be released next Friday at midnight.
- Not two weeks ago I literally bumped into her at yoga: our mats were about twelve inches apart and we almost beaned each other rolling down out of supta konasana simultaneously.
- My fiancee - civilized, gentle soul - once beaned a squirrel with an ice cube to keep the varmint from stripping her sunflowers bare.
- The only positive aspect was that, short of being beaned by an errant golf ball, it looked as though I would survive the game without an injury for once.
- I picked up the ball and pitched as hard as I could, beaning her square in the forehead.
- In today's Boston Globe, there's a discussion with noted sports psychologist Harvey Dorfman, on why he thinks Matt Clement will successfully return to the mound after being beaned in the head by a line drive.
- Outfielder Joe Medwick, another Hall of Famer who played for the Cardinals and Brooklyn Dodgers, was never quite as fearsome a hitter after being beaned in 1940.
- In 1939, York was beaned twice, but according to Baseball Hall of Fame records in neither instance was it in a game played in Washington.
- She hadn't been beaned in the head with anything either.
- They meet after Tom beans Sarah in the head with a football.
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!