The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
Ver definición en español de cama
1.1(for sleeping)cama femeninoto make the bed — hacer la cama
- to get into bed — acostarse
- to get out of bed — levantarse
- I was surprised to find her out of bed — me sorprendió encontrarla levantada
- to go to bed — acostarse
- I was in bed by ten o'clock — a las diez ya estaba acostado / en la cama
- he's in bed with measles — está en cama con sarampión
- he was in bed till midday — se quedó en la cama / no se levantó hasta el mediodía
- you look ready for bed — tienes cara de sueño
- to get sb into bed — llevarse a algn a la cama
- to be good in bed — ser bueno en la cama
- early to bed and early to rise (makes a man healthy, wealthy and wise) — a quien madruga, Dios lo ayuda
- bed jacket — mañanita
- Many of these fires happen when someone falls asleep in bed or on upholstered furniture such as a sofa while smoking.
- If your pain is severe, your doctor may suggest that you rest in bed for a day or two.
- The bed was the largest piece of furniture in the room and stood against the south wall, opposite the door.
- If it takes longer than 20 or 30 minutes to get to sleep, do not lie in bed becoming anxious about sleeping.
- To help keep a child in bed while settling to sleep, try story tapes, or books they can read to themselves.
- It wasn't that late, but she was tired and felt like curling up in bed and going to sleep.
- There is no specific treatment for measles but the patient should rest in bed for a few days and be given plenty to drink.
- There's a living room downstairs, a bedroom with three single beds and a bunk bed with upper and lower berths, a bathroom, and the kitchen area.
- A couple of stuffed animals and her guitar laid peacefully on the bed with a note attached.
- The bed was made neatly, and a few articles of clothing were strewn across the floor.
- You name it, they transport it on the back of their bicycle - animals, sofas, beds, car parts, other bicycles.
- The walls were all white and the only items inside were a bed, cabinet, desk, and chair.
- I have a small cell with a single bed, and there's a sink, a bookshelf, a little stool and somewhere to store underclothes.
- There certainly wasn't enough space in my room for anything larger than a single bed.
- There are 20 bedrooms, each furnished with antiques and extremely comfortable beds.
- The alarm frightened the sleep out of me; I dragged myself out of bed, and got my guests into the car.
- Not wanting to go back to sleep, she slipped out of bed, and walked down the stairs to the kitchen.
- I just don't enjoy leaping out of bed and into a pile of my sisters old smelly socks.
- When she was convinced her parents were asleep, she slipped out of bed and dressed herself.
- I was going to go back to bed this morning but I didn't feel tired.
- to get into bed — acostarse
1.2(in hotel, hospital)cama femenino
- Nurses working for the Auckland Mental Health Service are refusing to admit patients unless hospitals have beds and staff available.
- He said he recognised that acute hospitals had beds occupied by patients who could be discharged if appropriate facilities were available.
- ‘The targets have meant hospitals pushing patients through beds even when they should be closed for cleaning to get rid of infection,’ he said.
- Elderly patients stuck in hospital beds because of a care crisis will be moved by next month, York's head of social services has promised.
- In Edinburgh, 200 of the 2000 acute hospital beds are blocked with patients who do not need to be there.
- In an average week, four patients are blocking hospital beds because they can not be moved elsewhere.
- No sick patient in a hospital bed wants to hear his nurse tell him she once had a much worse time than he is suffering now.
- It has been blamed on a rise in emergency admissions and a heavy workload, which means patients are transferred from beds, wards and hospitals quickly.
- This was not due to lack of trying but due to a health service that has failed us, a minister that has done little to help and a hospital that has insufficient beds and staff.
- Staff at Hemel Hempstead General Hospital yesterday set aside extra beds and intensive care facilities for anyone suffering complications as a result of the smoke hanging over the area.
- Ambulances will also cease to bring patients to the A & E unit at the hospital if there are more than 25 patients awaiting beds.
- A South Essex psychiatric hospital is to get 12 extra beds for patients who have been treated at high-security institutions like Broadmoor.
- Hospitals found guilty of bad management and keeping patients in beds too long have been hit with fines totalling €6.4 million.
- Ms Harney said she would target A & E units and step-down facilities for elderly patients in acute beds.
- Last Wednesday, Bedford Hospital reached crisis point when beds ran short and patients kept arriving.
- An East Yorkshire hospital is down to its last five free beds as adult patients are forced to use a children's ward.
- The organisation has begun to release daily figures which show that an average of 200 patients are left lying on hospital trolleys waiting for beds.
- All of the hospital's 54 beds will close by early February and its patients will be transferred elsewhere.
- For night after night she slept in a chair by his hospital bed, refusing to leave his side.
- In a bid to improve services and free up much needed emergency beds, the foundations of a new treatment centre have been laid at Darent Valley Hospital.
- Prices start at £370,000 for two-bed apartments, with three-beds starting at £440,000.
- A two-bed in the same area in 1995 would cost about £550 whereas today they cost around £900 per month.
- A five-bed bungalow is currently being built on a half acre plot.
- Forty-nine of the proposed homes will be one-bed flats.
- Council bosses have branded the garden of his six-bed semi an eyesore and have ordered him to clean it up.
- But, thanks to the new scheme, Donna has now signed up for a two bed flat on Limefield Brow.
- I know of one couple who can't have any children, and should be in a one bed flat.
- They've only got a one bed flat and he don't even want the kids there.
- The four bed detached two storey house enjoys many extras and has a walled garden to the front and rear.
- Newly completed two bed apartments at Riverside / Granby Row are currently for sale.
- An old four bed farmhouse in need of renovation and a range of stone outbuildings on the land offer huge potential.
- Until about July, two and three bed houses sold on my estate in days, sometimes hours as it's a popular estate.
- To think they would be smart enough to go steal a car and raid your three bed semi is ridiculous.
- The three bed dormer detached bungalow provides many extras and is within easy reach of the town centre.
2.1(for plants)arriate masculinocantero masculino Río de la Plata
- As soon as the ground can be worked, dig or till compost or other organic matter into the soil to prepare flower and vegetable beds for spring planting.
- The best camellias are usually grown in beds or in areas where the soil and surroundings offer a friendly home for them.
- Therefore, roses are generally most successful if grown in beds away from large plants.
- Scented geraniums are undemanding creatures, easy to grow outdoors in garden beds and patio containers or indoors on a sunny windowsill.
- They brighten woodland gardens and perennial beds, and are useful container plants.
- Raised beds make gardening possible on sites where growing plants would otherwise be impossible.
- Over the years it has been developed, with the creation of borders and central beds filled with flowers, plants, shrubs and trees.
- Along with a scent, summer bulbs offer a refreshing variety of colors and textures to enrich the border and beds of any summer garden.
- With Ceres as an inspiration and while the sun shines down, all I want to do is potter around in the garden and start great beds of lush healthy plants.
- Apply general garden fertiliser to beds and borders and lightly work it into the soil surface.
- Cover any bare soil areas within your beds with a bark or wood chip mulch.
- An avid gardener, she planted beds with hardy perennials.
- Outside, the landscaped gardens have water features, rose beds and garden seats.
- Most home gardeners now opt for planting in beds rather than rows.
- Chickens roam freely between beds of flowers and vegetables.
- Gardeners who have recently moved almost always welcome new plants to fill empty beds.
- The playground, with a maypole and little roundabouts, and raised beds where children could grow vegetables and flowers, was vitally important.
- This versatile plant serves the gardener well in beds and borders.
- The first step to getting the best from your berries is to straw the bed.
- Five raised beds in the final design represent the five senses and each class in the school has a bed to fill.
2.2(of oysters)vivero masculino
- After the island came a long beach stroll; oystercatchers plundered the mussel beds and crows feasted on small crabs.
- The island has an untouched oyster bed while the general area has mussel and cockle beds.
- Oyster beds can really get messed up by a big storm coming through.
- At first glance there seemed to be nothing on the mussel beds, but closer inspection revealed a few Curlews, and about 100 Golden Plovers.
- Horse mussel beds create a habitat for about 100 other species, but they are being destroyed by scallop dredging.
- Terns and eiders had been disturbed, while eiders had been doubly hit because the pickers were depleting the mussel beds on which they feed.
- The usual lot were there on the mussel beds, and in the channel, a seal was having a tough time disposing of quite a large salmon.
- Not only was it the same colour as the mussel bed, but it had an assortment of tiny shell fragments all over its body.
- The tide was out, further out than I had seen for a very long time, revealing an expanse of mud and mussel beds.
- Oyster beds where young oysters are matured are as carefully looked after today as are game preserves.
- The mussel beds have to be maintained during the growing period.
- It was dry at low tide and filled quickly as the tide came in, the sides of the bay were stony and the bay itself was sandy with large mussel beds.
- Large mussel beds are also common in many areas.
- Some areas are covered with thick juvenile mussel beds on which abundant starfish graze.
- Even valuable shellfish beds around the coast are in danger because the Government has not implemented proper programmes to reduce pollution.
- The development of sewage systems by Victorian engineers meant human effluent was discharged into the sea, contaminating many shellfish beds.
- Possibly, wanderlust could have played a role, following herds up into the Middle East or following the shell fish beds out into the Arabian peninsular and on into India.
- They winter in open, coastal environments, favoring bays and inlets with sandy shores and shellfish beds.
- The reef peters out in 25m or so on a dark, sandy seabed where there is a healthy scallop bed.
- Adjacent clumps of mussels coalesced to form extensive beds, which then served as a secondary substrate for other algal species and associated fauna.
3(of river) lecho masculino(of river) cauce masculino(of sea) fondo masculino
- The lads are covering a total distance of 144 miles, across sand, stones, mountains, dried lakes, river beds and dunes.
- A mystery remains, however, over the way features resembling flood plains, river beds and gorges were created on Mars.
- The little silvery streams criss-crossing the river bed are enough for them to eke out a living.
- Sediments on lake bottoms and sea beds are far richer in biomarker molecules than we might suspect.
- As a result of continuous mining of sand, the river bed is three metres below the sea level.
- The female then moves upstream and covers the eggs with more gravel so that they are buried deep within the bed of the river.
- The terrain changes completely as we ride into the Moon Valley and onto the dry bed of the Swakop River.
- Over a number of weeks a trench was excavated in the river bed on each side of the estuary.
- Environment officials fear that concentrations of heavy metals primarily lead, copper, and zinc in the beds of the affected rivers could work their way into the food chain.
- Some say they were found by locals on the bed of a river, others in an unidentified cave.
- The muddy bed of the river is littered with boulders, but not ones that have arrived by geological forces.
- There has obviously been little rain here for a long time and the river bed is virtually dry.
- With its river beds, attractive hill ridges and stunning mountains, it provides city dwellers access to nature right on their doorstep.
- From its station near the bed of the river, it surges up to snatch at smaller fish foolish enough to swim through its field of vision.
- Sponges are a plant-like sea animal which are harvested from the ocean bed.
- After lunch we would trail around the neighbourhood which involved a lot of exploring of stream beds and ponds and railways.
- Meanwhile, Elkenback and his crew spotted the fourth truck in the stream bed to the north.
- We began the first seismic line on day two with an uphill washed-out creek bed of a trail.
- Many goby species are found on sandy or muddy sea beds, but the rock goby, as the name implies, prefers rocky ground, and will usually be found peering out from a crevice or hole.
- The water flowed over the rocks in the stream bed, and as it flowed, it seemed to sing.
4.1(base, support)base femeninoon a bed of rice — sobre arroz
- Within the Wessex Formation there are two beds of potential stratigraphic significance.
- The vivianite occurs in dark brown and dark gray beds of glacial silt and clay.
- Offset by the blue of sky, the massive beds of rock stand out in surprising colours.
- The sedimentary rocks are well bedded and dominated by mudstones with beds 2-5 m thick.
- Ash layers are generally interleaved with beds of lava and sediment, and so a rock that contains such a layer was formed at approximately the time of the ash deposition.
- The fossiliferous beds at Felsoors have been studied for over 130 years.
- The intercalated sedimentary beds were deposited on the tops of basaltic lava flows during periods of volcanic inactivity.
- The formation is composed of shales, mudstones, sandstones, oil shales and coal beds accumulated in fluvial to lacustrine environments.
- That year the school was in British Columbia near the site of the now-famous Burgess Shale fossil beds.
- Sandstone beds within the conglomerates are locally planar cross-bedded.
- Most beds are clearly graded, commonly with cross-bedded intervals towards the top.
- The underlying Dosados sandstone member, 80 m below, is the source bed for the intrusions.
- In the upper unit, flat-lying carbonate beds alternate with sands.
- Some of the sandstone beds are c.1.5 m thick with some cross bedding and burrows.
- Recognizable Ediacaran fossils are concentrated at the base of graded beds and are generally deformed bodies cast in erosional scours.
- The sandstone beds have sharp bases, fine upwards, and have rippled tops.
- The burrows are common below omission surfaces and erosion structures at the base of limestone beds.
- The quartz here was in flat-lying beds just below the surface.
- The development of Skolithos trace fossils on the upper surface of some beds suggests periodical emergence into an intertidal zone.
- Passages tend to run parallel to the strata because there are very few joints and they rarely intersect more than one bed.
5EEUU(of truck)plataforma femenino
- In one, he's standing beside the open bed of a pickup truck on which lies a giant, dead buck.
- Teenagers sat in the beds of pickup trucks with their hands covering their open mouths.
- We see them in sports bars, dark lounges, or spilling from the beds of pick-up trucks.
- Michael quickly moved out of the bed of the truck and opened the driver side door.
- Soon, the car was attached by its back bumper to the miniature crane in the bed of the truck.
- When they had gone through the first container, a second was delivered on the bed of a huge truck.
- He said they were built on truck beds so they could be moved from locations likely to be inspected by the United Nations.
- The size of the vehicles also offered the crew a better field of view and permitted them to move more freely in the truck beds.
- Jordan turned sideways so that his back was against the side of the truck bed.
- My bag was in the bed of the truck, so I grabbed it out and tried not to topple over from the lack of balance it caused me.
- The forklift operator put it behind the first two pallets, centered on the bed of the truck.
- The side benches prevent the sandbags from being stacked all the way to the edge of the truck bed.
- With that he put her bags in the bed of the truck and walked over to the passenger door and opened it.
- Digging into the boxes stacked on the truck bed, Ian came up with a tin of luncheon meat.
- Tedd got in the bed of the truck and was looking over the cab as we pulled up to the deer.
- I turned sideways, leaning against the side of the truck bed, and held my arms out to her.
- Next to them on the street a woman sells fruit from her pickup truck, and the bed overflows with pomelos and papayas.
- The large burly man leapt on top of the of the truck bed and unsnapped the locks on the box.
- The woman took notice of me for the first time as I climbed out of the wagon bed with my belongings under my arm.
- Joe screwed the top back on the canteen, and squeezed, on his back, under the wagon bed.
verbo transitivo bedding, bedded, bedded
1.2(transfer)(seedlings) trasplantar a la intemperie
- I have bedded my tomato plants in the greenhouse and some more in the veg patch, whilst the wife has potted her crab apple tree in the planter.
- I dealt with it by spending the day in the garden, potting and bedding-in a batch of new flowers.
- Some fifteen boxes of daylilies and irises were sent over last weekend, and they will need to be bedded soon.
- Bed the plants into the prepared trench and cover the roots with soil, which should be watered if dry.
- The best time to bed new strawberries is in early spring.
2anticuado(have sex with)llevarse a la camallevarse al flex España coloquial
- She wooed her by writing her a fabulous part in the nursing academy's Christmas play, and bedded her in the dormitory soon after.
- Rock musicians spend all their time bedding models and ingesting narcotics.
- You don't deserve a man who's killed other men and bedded other women.
- But even if he was a crime lord who bedded whores and killed his subordinates, I had seen the kind side of him too long to absolutely hate him.
- He bedded scores of women and got drunk with his men and worshipped his king.
- He is renowned for bedding scores of women.
- He regularly bedded secretaries and prostitutes provided by friendly governments.
- In the film, Christina will play a young woman who beds complete strangers whenever she has a panic attack.
- In 500 years he only beds one woman and even then has to pay for the privilege.
- He is caught bedding his partner's best friend.
- The singer has confessed he got fat after getting bored with bedding lots of different women.
- I wonder if the actress knew this when she was bedded by him.
- She has rubbished the singer's claim that he bedded four of the five members of the group.
- The day of nuptials culminated with a brief comedy moment - as members of the cast hit the dancefloor to reveal some interesting moves - before ruthless Rob bedded the bridesmaid to keep the sordid secret under wraps.
- He sold the story of how he bedded her on his first date to the News of the World for £15,000.
- And by the end of the night, he'd have bedded all of them.
- Her husband Nick is the one who bedded Kath, and this devastating truth forces Elaine ruthlessly to re-evaluate their shared past.
- Just days after the troubled rapper checked into a rehab clinic for a sleeping pill addiction, the pop diva has vehemently denied he bedded her.
- They solved some crimes and bedded a lot of bikini-clad women.
- Most men who interview her write as if they want to bed her.
- Rose of Tralee Orla O'Shea swapped her tiara for a mortarboard yesterday when she graduated from Mary Immaculate teacher training college in Limerick.Orla, who was conferred with a BEd, teaches in a girls' school in Swords, Co Dublin.
- He is studying for a BEd in English Literature and works as a freelance journalist.
- He did his BEd. and MA in Economics from AMU and topped the list of successful candidates in MA for which he was awarded University Medal.
- While there are undergraduate routes into teaching - mainly through the four-year BEd course - few aspiring secondary science teachers currently follow this path.
- One BEd student told the union: ‘Teaching is not a job that can be done without a degree.’
- A native of Armagh, she was educated at St Catherine's college, Armagh and gained a Honours BEd degree from St Mary's University Belfast.
- Students of the Pratap College of Education here have secured four of the top five positions in the BEd examination conducted by Panjab University.
- She was a BCom student and was suspected to be depressed because she did not get marks required to get admission to a BEd course.
- Wendy obtained a BSc HEc in 1988, BEd in 1993 and an MSc in 1994, at the University of Saskatchewan.
- From there I thought I might make more difference lecturing to BEd students at a university.
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!