Learn English Grammar From A–Z
- The planting included oak, ash, crab apple, field maple, hawthorn, blackthorn, privet and dogwood and down by the ponds two areas of willows were planted.
- Shrubs such as hawthorn, field maple, blackthorn, beech, hornbeam and holly make good hedging.
- The dark purple berries, fruit of the blackthorn, are best after the first frosts because they break down more easily.
- I walked down to this viewpoint in early April, when clouds of white blackthorn billowed along the hillside.
- The birds love the dense thickets and scrub and clumps of bushes like blackthorn that grow in the older sites of the park.
2US(walking stick)bastón masculine
- The muscular man carried a sturdy blackthorn cudgel in the field when supervising the emergency men.
- His father re-emerged with a blackthorn stick, looking ready to do vicious battle; but when he saw his opponent, he began to laugh.
- He took his job very seriously, driving couples from the local public houses with his blackthorn stick.
- One RUC District Inspector was even wielding his blackthorn stick, the official symbol of his authority.
- I cut a stout blackthorn to banish ghost and goblin.