Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1quinceañera feminine informalcalcetinera feminine Chile
- This is a bittersweet Golden Age of speakeasies, hoods, the Great Depression, squealing bobby-soxers, lynchings, jitterbugging, novelty tunes and early moves toward racial integration.
- Along with the famous poodle skirts and ponytails, saddle shoes, penny loafers, and colored sneakers were popular with teenaged bobby-soxers.
- With timing so flawless and a tenor so strong he made bobby-soxers swoon and tough guys cry, the awkward kid from Hoboken became the standard bearer for almost all aural bliss.
- In the USA, where wartime conditions bred v-girls and the zoot-suit riots, and where new words such as ‘teenager’ and ‘bobby-soxer’ described the young, the statistics varied.
- The dance is set up as wholesome bobby-soxer swing, but Hayworth projects a voluptuous energy that practically burns a hole in the celluloid.