Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1(between countries)frontera feminine
- By drawing borderlines separating the yellow/red areas and surrounding blue areas, we obtained three major categories of genes.
- He entertained in fact far-reaching plans to build an advanced high-tech fence along the future borderline in order to separate effectively the two populations from each other.
- But surely you understand that it is impossible to control the entire borderline at all times.
- It is worth noting that motorcycles were used to patrol the borderline and were seen as an effective force multiplier.
- Two thousand years ago, a Roman fortress had guarded the borderline of the empire.
- They guarded the borderline on Kamchatka, near Vyborg, anywhere, but not at home.
- He claimed this week he had called the Border Patrol after he picked up a migrant couple hitchhiking along a state highway near the borderline
- I'm near the borderline of Vancouver and Burnaby.
- The main purpose of this deputation is to protect the borderline.
- I remember my first journey to the Iguazu Falls, in the borderline between Brazil and Argentina.
- In 1994, the borderline of the City of Warsaw was enlarged to the surrounded province.
- San Yuan Li, which used to mark the physical and mental borderline of the city has now become a little dot in the endless urban network.
- A common complaint is replacement of borderline fences and wood retaining walls.
2(between categories)límite masculineshe was on the pass-fail borderline — estaba en el límite / estaba a caballo entre el aprobado y el reprobado
- I like that: revel in your glorious failures, dance on the borderline between success and disaster, because that is where your next breakthrough will come from.
- Bar owners complain of unfair business when they are located on the borderline between smoking and non-smoking.
- It was an enjoyable and memorable night on the borderline of Galway and Mayo.
- It's actually one of those bits of ‘music’ that hovers on the borderline of being both scary and hilarious and then scary all over again.
- Thus, from the outset, we are on the borderline between art and cliché, the self-consciously poetic writing nudging us in the direction of art.
- On the borderline between childhood and adolescence, I was still trying to figure out who I was.
- Dias de las Noches sits on the borderline between dance and theatre typical of the venue.
- That's right on the borderline between a Category 2 and Category 3 and this could very well become a Category 3 hurricane.
- ‘We tried to argue that we are on the borderline between Southeast Asia and the Pacific, but they were not terribly impressed with that argument,’ he said.
- Having said that, my gut instinct is that actually Shakespeare was somewhere very much on the borderline between Protestant and Catholic ways of thinking.
- It was typical of his work, very much on the borderline between mathematics and physical science, and exhibiting technical skill in classical analysis that is rare nowadays.
- Nationality nouns (Americans, a New Zealander, the Japanese) lie on the borderline between proper and common nouns.
- Brilliantly passionate and incisive vocals over stunning arrangements on the borderline between jazz, classical and flamenco.
- The decor and costumes, by Peter McKintosh, are imaginative and cleverly sit on the borderline between reality and fantasy.
- Hawking was on the borderline between a first and a second.
- My work on the origin of the Universe is on the borderline between science and religion, but I try to stay on the scientific side of the border.
- In general, that's sort of a fuzzy borderline between psychosurgery and neurological surgery.
- Emma's voice was borderline between sweet, and annoyingly too sweet.
- The precipitation was on that borderline between sleet and just frigid rain.
- First, it may be the case that psi lurks in this borderline between reality and imagination.
1(case/score) dudoso(candidate) en el límite entre el aprobado y el reprobado(candidate) en el límite entre el aprobado y el suspenso Spaina borderline pass — un aprobado muy justo
- Another explanation of the findings could be that borderline dementia subjects might have lower leisure activity as a result of early disease.
- I have been told that I am borderline dangerously overweight.
- During long stretches of borderline freezing temperatures when the frost line neither advances nor recedes, water is continually drawn up to the ice lens where it freezes.
- Reese says he hopes the pre-service teacher conferences and summer institutes will serve as a reinforcement for students who want to be teachers, particularly those who may be borderline.
- His accent is nearly impeccable, and I was listening closely for him to slip up (I'm borderline obsessed with Brits doing American accents).
- Hitting coach Gerald Perry says opponents are pitching Buhner tougher than anyone in the lineup, and he has reacted to some borderline called strikes by chasing a few pitches he usually takes.
- At least one top NBA scout has been telling college underclassmen who might be borderline first-round picks this June that it's better to wait for the 2005 draft.
- Of course, pitches don't come across the plate labeled ‘ball’ and ‘strike’—most of them are borderline.
- ‘They probably would have been borderline 10 years ago,’ Deane said.
- Because Hamilton rarely has taken a tough stance and management has sent mixed signals to him about handling some dicey situations, things have gotten borderline out of control.
- ‘I'm getting base hits because the pitcher isn't getting borderline strikes called,’ Johnson says.
- Seventeen of the 69 case encounters in the afternoon session were rated as borderline.
- A normal level is 8 centimeters or more; 5 to 8 centimeters is borderline.
- About 6,000 smokers with borderline to moderate airflow obstruction were recruited and were followed up for 5 years.
- And because of that, isn't there a chance that they aren't borderline incompetent, and are closer to borderline great?
- Were the youth of America, desperate for an honest set of heroes, supposed to find these borderline illiterate street skate rats admirable?
- While his performance has its share of moments that borderline on the shrill, by the end of the movie he has managed to generate more than a little sympathy.
- Recently I developed borderline high blood sugar, and my doctor recommended that I cut down on carbohydrates.
- I've seen some borderline calls over the years, but I also have seen some pretty flagrant late hits along the way as well.
- Most of this stuff is borderline cruel or harassing, not entertaining.