Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1galgo ruso masculine
- In addition to salukis, eligible breeds are whippets, greyhounds, Afghan hounds, borzois, Ibizan hounds, pharaoh hounds, Irish wolfhounds, and Scottish deerhounds.
- Russians used the term borzoi to refer to all greyhounds and sight hounds - dogs that catch sight of and then chase their prey, either dispatching it when they catch up to it or detaining it until the hunter or huntress arrives.
- There is also evidence of a borzoi cross entering the mix along the way, that evidence revealing itself in the convex profile of the bull terrier's head.
- Rapid phenotypic selection has resulted in canine breeds as diverse as the tall, refined borzoi and the short, stocky pug; no other species of animal displays the range of phenotypic diversity seen in purebred dogs.
- Even today certain borzoi characteristics crop up in rough collie heads.