Learn English Grammar From A–Z
- These pirates or buccaneers were part of the French fleet as Curacao would have been a rich prize for these pirates who were always on the lookout for rich pickings.
- The most famous buccaneers have been shrouded in legend and folklore for so long that it's almost impossible to distinguish between myth and reality.
- At one time, it used to be said that boys liked books about adventures in strange lands, with plenty of fights, a few buccaneers, hoodlums and cowboys thrown in.
- In the mid-1600s, the French used the buccaneers as mercenaries in an unofficial war against the Spanish.
- In the 17th and 18th centuries, the islands were feared as the haunt of pirates and buccaneers from Cornwall, France and Spain, who would lie in wait for poorly defended ships.