Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1.1(male bovine)toro masculinebull neck — cuello corto y ancho
1.2(male of other species)macho masculine(elephant/seal/moose) (invariable adjective and before noun) macho
- Flanked by dunes and beaches, Ano Nuevo Point is the winter home for thousands of northern elephant seals, with bulls staging dramatic fights for breeding rights.
- But only 800 of India's 20,000 elephants are bulls now.
- As the saying goes, when elephant bulls fight, it is the grass that suffers.
- One of these is the unusually high level of aggression observed between Addo elephant bulls.
- Crews are leery of the full-grown sperm whale bull (up to sixty feet in length), a rarer sight.
- Tiny was a male bull elephant with one tusk shorter than the other.
- Adult male elephants are generally solitary or associate with other bulls in loose associations while females live in families.
- A big bull elephant seal had been lying there sleeping when another cruised up like a submarine, inflating its huge proboscis and blowing bad breath in a deep growl.
- Although bull elephants spend a lot of time alone, they regularly meet up and renew their friendships, one of their favourite meeting places being around water holes.
- Ramona's father was a wild bull elephant whose name and whereabouts are unknown.
- One shark in particular had a huge semi-circular scar above its gills, possible inflicted by a bull or tiger shark.
- Soon after arriving he had Phang Lamphoon mate with Phrai Num Sek, a bull elephant he described as a magnificent animal with a fine, strong and healthy form.
- After the normal elephant show for the tourists, the Taylor family approached a bull elephant, intending to feed the animal.
- Mrs. Taylor died after the bull elephant went berserk and charged into visitors at an animal park near the popular tourist resort of Pattaya.
- While elephants are indisputably social animals the social lives of males and females - bulls and cows - may be contrasted.
- Groups of adult cows or bachelor bulls are sometimes formed, however, and during the mating season pairs of rhinos may stay together for up to 4 months.
- Since bulls are drawn to females in heat, the pheromone could possibly be used to steer rogue elephants away from crops and villages - and destruction.
2(on stock market)alcista masculine, feminine
- He went there, had a little bit of a photo-op, made a little bit of a quip that he thought that he had seen a lot of bull in Washington, but he certainly was seeing a lot more there.
- Do you think astrology is totally cool or complete bull?
- But now we know that was all bull, and so I now believe I was wrong.
- Trust me, these ‘get rich quick’ ads are pure bull, guff and hogwash!
- Well, my response is that that's a bunch of bull.
- Every time I think of this, I have the same reaction: What bull.
- ‘He sure is a whole lot of bull though,’ one of them remarked as Beva stood in the middle of the ballroom of the plush Marriott Hotel.
- Stuck in a rut of family movies Gooding is cast against recent type as sharp New York advertising executive, Darrin Hill, who stretches the salesman's bull into his own life story.
- But that's pure bull, I'm not outdoorsy, I don't breeze about in fleeces.
- Wait, you feel that what I'm saying here is bull?
- Often, we'd sit there and get drunk, dance badly to the student disco and talk a load of bull about football to each other and any other person pretending they were students who happened to be drinking there at the time.
- To the person who sent this, you took 4 minutes of your time to read this, yet you could not spare the 15 seconds it took for me to Google this and identify it as bull.
- Either way, it makes my point that online polls are bull.
- How much bull can one fit in such a short opening paragraph?
- On a much smaller scale, the writer of the opinion column in my local paper talks bull every week, completely contradicting the factual articles sharing the page, which infuriates me.
- Which means that the more bull you give, the more they love you.
- Craig told her, and as much as she wanted to believe that those words were just bull she could tell that she meant it, and even though she didn't want to admit it she was also glad they had kissed.
- It'll get lost in all that paper and bull that gets shovelled around when lawyers and officials get hold of you.
- All that bull about it being the taking part that counts… nonsense.
- And Carlos and Gerald, among other supposedly intelligent men, are buying that bull.
1(papal edict)bula feminine
- Taking no chances, the pope issued a papal bull automatically excommunicating any printer who might make an alteration in the text.
- In mid-1349, Pope Clement VI issued a papal bull denouncing the flagellants as a heretical movement.
- Witches were also put on trial, following a papal bull against witchcraft issued in 1484.
- It suggests considerable unawareness of his danger that, when taken, he was wearing an Agnus Dei and in possession of a papal bull.
- The Room of the Signatures, named for the signing of the papal bulls, again features some works by Raphael depicting the enlightenment.
- The papal bull was taken to Paris and stored for safe keeping.
- The Pope obliged, issuing on November 1, 1478, a papal bull called Exigit Sincere Devotionis.
- A papal bull dated June 1520, was issued declaring that Luther was a heretic.
- After a papal bull of 1558 all such former monks were ordered to return to their monasteries, under threat of losing church benefices.
- As a result, they repeatedly solicited papal bulls condemning Jansenist works, and persecuted priests who refused formally to accept the condemnations.
- In the first years of the 16th century, the screw-press was invented, probably by Bramante for the striking of papal bulls.
- Papal bulls and indulgences were also identified as tools of this treacherous persuasion.
- The document was a private letter, not a papal bull.
- A papal bull of 1145 encouraged this kind of regional pilgrimage to Pistoia by urging Tuscan bishops to promote travel to the relic.
- In 1452 the Bishop of Rome spoke out and gave his official blessing in a papal bull.
- The necessary calculations were carried out by Antonio Lilius and written up into a Papal bull by Christopher Clavius.
- He knew of the fall of Edessa and the call for help, though he probably did not know of the papal bull.
- It was a simple matter then for Pope Julius II to issue a bull to sanction the marriage.
- Pius V published the bull of excommunication of Elizabeth in 1570 to aid the Rebellion of the Northern Earls, but deliberately without informing Philip first.
- The word bull is still used in English for a Papal Bull, an edict issued by the Pope.
1(boasting, lying)estupideces femininechorradas feminine Spain informalmacanas feminine River Plate informaljaladas feminine Mexico slang→ shoot