Learn English Grammar From A–Z
yupi de raza negra
- The buppies (black urban professionals) generally condemn the B-boys (break boys, the rappers), individuals molded by the tragedies of underclass life.
- For the time being, though, we're left with Undercover Brother, with its scatter-shot satire and raucous racial politics, its pops at whitey squares, black militants and sell-out buppies who listen to Michael Bolton CDs.
- Way before 3/4ths of you were even alive, Grasso invented disco mixing by blending heavy rock and heavy funk (Santana, JB, War, etc.) for a rabid audience of newly sexually liberated future yuppies, guppies, and buppies.
- Amiri Baraka is only exaggerating a bit when he calls Lee ‘the quintessential buppie, almost the spirit of the young, upwardly mobile, Black, petit bourgeois professional’.
- There's a whole word for that demographic, in fact - buppies - and I cannot believe that he spent a month, a whole month, in Cape Town without clocking this fact.
- Unless I'm in your audience and I find a set of car keys under my seat that weren't dropped by the buppie next to me.
- In Dickey's previous novels, most of the characters tend to be successful, affluent, well-educated African Americans - buppies who have struck it rich professionally, but struck out personally.
- However, Weber is a talented writer, and there's room in the African American canon for a novel full of hateful, lust-maddened, foul-mouthed buppies from southeastern Queens, New York; characters who are crummy parents to boot.
- While readers may want to duck their heads, knowing instinctively that the company and conversation of these familiar New York buppies are things we'd wish at all cost to avoid, the novel does not afford us this mercy.
- George navigates the reader through the gritty New York streets revealing an underground erogenous culture of successful buppies.
- A House Is Not a Home: A B-Boy Blues Novel by James Earl Hardy: Mitchell the buppie and Raheim the homeboy get their sixth and final outing in the hot, hot series.
- A fine example of a buppie - except that when the lawyer exits the car, Mr. Buppie is sporting unmistakable dreadlocks.
- Hell, the black colleges are really buppie factories, teaching a new generation of the elite.
- It starts out like a modified buppie version of Hangin' with the Homeboys, except this quartet of uptight tools couldn't carry on a coordinated conversation if their life depended on it (and it does later it really does).
- Based on a web-based animated series created by screenwriter John Ridley, Undercover Brother was directed by Malcolm D. Lee (cousin of Spike), who previously directed the outstanding 1999 buppie comedy/drama The Best Man.
- Paris comes from a social stratum so far above Alvin's that he is almost too tiny to see, even as he walks among - and cleans the pools - of the school's buppie elite.