Learn English Grammar From A–Z
adjective burlier, burliest
1(big, strong)(man) fornido(man) corpulento(arms) musculoso
- In the next-door compound, a burly man was whacking a skinny boy with a thick stick.
- She had been clamped by the time she got outside, and two burly men demanded £125 to have her car released.
- Blanche looked at him, a big burly man with an abdomen that was bulging over his belt which seemed much too tight for him.
- A burly gentleman in plain clothes is insisting that we need a permit to photograph Burns outside Lenin's tomb.
- He could then tell you that a couple of burly bobbies were hiding behind the hedge, stopwatch in hand, ready to bring you to book.
- Julian was watching a burly man with beard and sunburn make his way across the lobby.
- Just eyeball some of those burly boys who stand menacingly in the doorways and you'll get my drift.
- I sat cramped next to a burly fellow who obviously had a lot of faith in the medicinal qualities of garlic.
- At one point down York Street I saw a rugby ball fly over the road and some burly blokes by the Hook Line and Sinker tried to push a bus.
- The singer Donovan turned up with his friend, a burly bloke called Gypsy.
- I saw one burly man whipping his horse with one of these and received a mouthful of abuse when I pleaded with him to stop.
- I could only grunt in response, as by that stage his two burly assistants had bundled me in to a chair and strapped me down.
- The burly Peter started at centre forward and played his part in the Kilkenny win.
- He is a tall, burly man in his early 40s, with cropped hair, a friendly grin and a firm handshake.
- So I bombed out of the office, jumped into a cab and whizzed home, to find two burly men in overalls on the doorstep.
- If a burly gentleman doesn't challenge you to fisticuffs, the table is ready.
- The burly men with biceps will be competing in the grand final in a series of face-to-face bouts.
- The burly man stared at him and took his arm, leading the young man across the street.
- There were four burly men at the table, miners by the look of them, men who delved in the earth.
- A large burly man was carrying a large rifle, his sword hanging by his waist, motioning to his men.