Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1(hot)(sand) ardiente(sun) abrasador
- Many feared that the soles of their standard issue boots would tend to melt on the burning desert sands.
- Theo and I climbed and scrambled until midday under a burning sun.
- It was malicious, horrible, with two small red eyes as bright as points of burning coal.
- It is a long way from the burning deserts of Arizona to the gateway to Russia.
- In parts of the Mediterranean and the Middle East, the roasting is done by the burning sun.
- It is not a total sun block and is designed to filter most of the sun's harmful burning rays while still allowing tanning.
- That looked to be it as the sides laboured under the burning sun, but the encounter exploded in the closing 10 minutes.
- Then we slip into Caribbean time and spend the next two hours talking and watching the waves run up the beach in the burning afternoon sun.
- I stood on deck in the burning sun, searching for that invisible equatorial line.
- His brown skin glistens in the burning noon sun, and his hair is tousled, streaked brown.
- These elephants stand throughout the day in the burning sun with heavy chains on their legs.
- She fell to the ground with a soft thud, blacking out before even hitting the burning sands.
- She looked past him, not at him, and the sun had become a burning ember beneath that far off hill.
- In the center of the ring lay a prone Johnson with his hand covering his eyes from the burning hot Cuban afternoon sun.
- I helped unearth it and I know the burning salt sands were too tightly packed to have just been recently patted down.
- Heat and boiling air struck her face like a hammer as she fell to the burning sand.
- The reporter said that officers had forced him to sit in liquid sewage and kept him for hours in the burning sun.
- Scouts were usually seen playing in the water to escape the burning sun's rays and get cooled down.
- There was a flash of light more intense than a thousand suns and a burning heat.
- This morning I noticed a cherry tree which has begun its spiralling journey towards the burning brights of autumn colour.
2it's burning hot — está muy caliente
- the burning hot sand — la arena ardiente
- the burning hot sand — la arena ardiente
3(intense)(desire) ardiente(hatred) violento
- He said he hopes to make a comfortable living from acting - that's his burning ambition.
- It was always her burning ambition to see her mother's name cleared.
- Malquin shook on his knees, the new wound only adding to the burning fires of pain inside of him.
- Then, in the light of the dimly burning fire in the heart he went to her.
- The usually quiet brother looked into his father's face with burning fire in his eyes.
4(urgent)(question/issue) candentea topic of burning importance — un tema de crucial / vital importancia
- A pump operator from the Water Board said the meeting was very important and a burning issue.
- The Government's arson control forum is dishing up £133,000 to tackle the burning issue.
- The golf lived up to all you would expect and the burning question was just who would lift the Captain's prize?
- That's the burning question I pose to my boyfriend as we tool around the suburbs looking for a decent place to eat.
- This was the burning question at a special seminar held on Wednesday to demonstrate how the fire brigade would spring into action.
- For all the opera companies in Britain it's the burning question.
- The burning issue of environmental pollution cries out for joint action.
- As for the burning question of the moment - will the major media cover this story or bury it?
- One of my students from Japan had a burning question she wanted to ask.
- Why and how did Mr. Modi's future become a burning issue at the start of what was supposed to be a relaxed vacation?
- I am a young man with a burning question: Does an engagement ring have to be a diamond?
- The burning question that has been plaguing me for months has finally been answered.
- While everything seems to be clicking into place, there is however, one burning question.
- The burning question is, is there someone out there who can give an honest and reliable answer to this transport problem?
- Could your Letters page solve the burning question of the new year?
- Now we all know the answer to the once burning question is a resounding yes!
- Here is the burning question: Would you vote for this kind of man for Prime Minister?
- The burning question is how their research arms could hope to survive as stand-alone profit centres.
- The burning issue now is for all of us to keep vigil and stop the contractors from bringing down the tree at night.
- Whether the overwhelming majority of them have a future in the area is the burning issue.