Learn English Grammar From A–Z
nounplural carp, plural carps
- One species, the silver carp, is known to jump completely out of the water when a boat passes, in some cases injuring passengers.
- Six ducks and 5,000 grass and silver carp have been introduced into the reborn lake to conserve its ecology.
- Experts will try to net all the native carp, bream and tench in the lake and take them to a fish farm before putting the poison into the water.
- Club matches have been won with nearly 20 lb of small fish including carp, tench, skimmers, perch and orfe.
- All species feed well in the spring but the two that really start feeding are carp and tench.
- The client also wanted a fish eagle with a carp in its talons.
- The European carp and trout have driven many native species of fish from our streams.
- The plants have all died and we have lost 22 carp fish from our pond.
- When water levels subside and water stops flowing from the Main Pool, the carp disperse.
- Other fish, such as the black carp and mud carp, foraged in sediments at the bottom of the pond.
- It presently holds excellent stocks of carp, rudd, perch, pike and tench.
- It works when they're right, but it stinks like a dead carp when they're wrong.
- There are already rumours of anglers catching barbel and carp well downstream of the tidal limits of the river.
- Again there are good fish in this section with some very big carp and chub.
- The big main lake in front of us has nearly eight hundred carp plus some orfe and tench.
- Suddenly a large carp jumps out of the pond and they are both very excited.
- I came across two guys fishing, one of whom was playing a large fish which obviously was a carp.
- Fishing a small Kennet side stream I spotted a carp cruising around in a small bay.
- These fish were very close to the wild form of the carp found naturally in the River Danube.
- This venue is good for carp, crucians and mullet; it is also one of the prime catfish venues.
1criticar por criticarto carp at sb/sth — quejarse (sin motivo) de algn/algo
- It might seem carping to find fault in such a dazzling and fully realized novel.
- And the rest of the time she carped, criticized, verbally and sometimes physically abused her adopted son while fawning obnoxiously over his ‘perfect’ sister.
- Her critics have carped about the book-jacket, made allegations of sloppiness and even made fun of her hair.
- ‘She's the first step to selling out the sport,’ one critic carped in an online discussion group.
- She comes into the organisation and just carps, whinges, and whines.
- In reviewing such a wide-ranging and successful study, calls for still more work are bound to sound carping.
- In this debate we will hear a lot of whingeing, whining, carping, snivelling, and grizzling from the opposition.
- It seems a bit carping to criticize people for maintaining and restoring old buildings.
- It's a fantastic achievement - and one in the eye for those who have carped and cavilled about the underperformance of Great Britain's competitors in Athens.
- Some critics carped about the fact that a film set in 1956 used a song that was released in 1958 for its theme.
- The critics carped and said it would take us a century to catch up with the internet population in the US.
- From the live video, he looks like a little puppy dog, who will have parents across Europe carping, ‘get your hair cut’.
- I have a few quibbles with it but will withhold carping until all three chapters have appeared.
- There may be carping and dissatisfaction at lower levels but the two continue to enjoy a good personal relationship.
- He should continue building on this fine work rather than carping on about injustices that don't exist.
- Your typical correspondent carps about a mistranslation, a geographical inaccuracy, an obscure word obscurely misused.
- He carps constantly that, because others were duped, he shouldn't be blamed.
- Some of it is carping, but this paragraph raises an alarm bell that also went off in my head when I first read it.
- I've made a concerted effort to ignore most of the carping from the press over the last week.
- I just quickly did a little skim through the OZ's website and they are STILL carping on about Media Watch over there.