Learn More About Spanish Culture
1.1(rug)alfombra femininetapete masculine Colombia, Mexico
- The curtains are silk and there are oriental rugs and carpets.
- These are generally referred to as ‘carpet pages’ because it is thought that they were inspired by oriental woven carpets.
- Only an oriental type of carpet with red background and a yellow border with little stick figures and such overlapped it.
- The floor was of hard wood and an ornate, oriental-designed carpet laid across most of the floor.
- The world-renowned carpets of Chiprovtsi, woven on vertical looms, outdo Turkish, Egyptian, Indian and Chinese carpets.
1.2(wall-to-wall)alfombra femininemoqueta feminine Spainmoquette feminine River Plate
- The team can fit grab-rails on staircases and in doorways, fix defective carpets or floor coverings, remove trailing wires and generally reduce trip hazards.
- A reproduction of the original Brussels weave carpet covers the floors and a mixture of objects of different styles and epochs furnish the room.
- Some insurers will not make deductions for carpets or floor coverings which are five years or even ten years old.
- A thick carpet covered the floor in a style that she didn't immediately recognize.
- A beautiful dark wooden table dominated its center, with fine paneling covering the walls, and a thick carpet on the floor.
- Tapestries covered the walls and the carpets covered the floors, overlapping everywhere so that every surface was cushioned and every sound muffled.
- The walls were panelled in wood, the floor covered in carpets decorated with curlicues to rival any Persian rug.
- If you think it is caused by house dust mites then throw away your carpets, wash the floors every day and vacuum afterwards, even vacuuming your bedclothes.
- We know the guys who rolled up the carpets and washed the floor of the house they had to occupy, so they could return it in good condition to its owners.
- Throughout the country, floors and walls are lined with carpets and fabric hangings.
- The house has double-glazed windows throughout, and fitted curtains and carpets are included in the sale.
- All four bedrooms on the first floor, as well as the entrance hall and bathroom, have wooden floors covered by carpets.
- He shook his head, staring at the tan carpet covering his floor.
- There was a thick carpet on the floor and tapestries on the wall.
- A white carpet covered the whole floor and everything was in place just the way he wanted.
- The walls appeared to have been painted recently and a well-worn carpet covered the floor.
- He had stripped back the plastered walls to the marble and put up Japanese wall-hangings; he ripped up the thick fur carpet and covered the floor with black stone.
- We had to rip up wooden floors, as well as floors that had carpet or other covering.
- There are no fitted carpets in the house and the ledges are reduced in size so that dust surfaces are reduced.
- Fitted carpets, curtains, business furniture and equipment are included in the sale.
2literary(of flowers, leaves, moss)alfombra feminine literarythe earth was covered in a carpet of green — la tierra estaba alfombrada / tapizada de verde literary
- But it's certainly made itself at home, forming thick carpets of shells on the seafloor, crowding out indigenous species.
- Some range into Alaska and the Yukon, where thick carpets of morels grow in burns accessible only by helicopter, floatplane, or river raft.
- Thick carpets of the alien species are crowding out oysters and other native species on the seafloor.
- Everywhere I turned there were immense trees towering above me, rainbows of exotically coloured blooms, and thick dark carpets of creeping moss.
- The carpets of green moss coil like thick rope over the boulders.
- The trees had incredibly thick foliage that formed knee-deep, half rotted carpets of fallen leaves.
- I crunched on over carpets of broken mussel shells, passing a big rusted ship's anchor lying tines up, and clambered up from the causeway on to the slope of the Inner Head.
- The arrival of spring is associated with the flowers of the hawthorn, the return of the swifts and, of course, the violet-blue carpets of bluebells.
- The carpets of green lead me eventually to the big bloodwood I often visit.
- Just now, it looks splendid with carpets of primroses in the churchyard and inside, much repair work completed.
- The Park will soon be studded with musical fountains, carpets of grass, surgically spruced-up trees and dustbins at regular intervals.
- Oddities apart, visitors to the island are currently enjoying the annual spring spectacles of throngs of nesting seabirds and carpets of bluebells.
- The peat soil supports blanket bog vegetation dominated by carpets of Sphagnum mosses, cotton-grasses and heather.
- It is a gift from Mother Nature: to be able to see this panorama of denuded trees and carpets of red and gold.
- The events themselves were described as consisting of night-long dancing to rhythmical sound carpets of purely electronic music.
- These are succeeded by carpets of bluebells, rhododendrons and azaleas in Capability Brown's Rhododendron Dell.
- The Burren's gold is obvious - the simple carpets of cowslips in April and the 24-carat Cartier rockroses in June.
- This time we dive Shark Point and I cruise round the walls of gorgonians and sponges, then chill out among the endless carpets of green anemones on top of the rock.
- The glossy leaves of soapwort and finely textured carpets of Turkish speedwell stay green for most of the winter.
- The meandering path was littered with conifer branches, layered with a thick carpet of fresh golden straw.
1.1(floor/room) alfombrar(floor/room) enmoquetar Spainthe house is fully carpeted — la casa está totalmente alfombrada
- The dining room was carpeted, and there was a quiet buzz of conversation from the other guests.
- The room was heavily carpeted and filled with plants and exercise equipment, including a treadmill, some kind of Nautilus, and free weights.
- The room was carpeted and had two beds, each on opposite walls.
- The room is carpeted and has a white ceramic suite which comprises a free-standing Victorian bath, wash hand basin and toilet.
- There were more of the bright couches and pillows, and both the TV and living rooms were plushly carpeted.
- All rooms are carpeted except for the kitchen, which is tiled.
- This airy room is carpeted and has a pleasantly high ceiling.
- The living room and bedroom were carpeted, as was the closet, but the kitchen was covered with a bad plastic tile.
- The living room was carpeted in pink and 2 beige sofas with blue pillows lined the corner.
- The room was fully carpeted and the ceiling had many pictures painted onto it.
- When I got back to the cottage last night, the living room was carpeted by wrapping papers.
- The clubhouse is centrally heated and carpeted with tea/coffee facilities and mineral bar.
- In number 19 the room is carpeted and includes a period cast iron fireplace with tiled hearth.
- The room is carpeted and features an open mahogany surround fireplace with marble inset and hearth.
- My room was carpeted in red and the walls were black with silver and red flowers.
- The floors in this room were carpeted and there was slow music flowing around.
- Rooms that weren't carpeted with rugs were tiled out on the floor to make some kind of design.
- The stairs were carpeted with this shaggy rug type carpet.
- The stairs were carpeted with a brown and blue floral design.
- The stairs and landing are carpeted in beige and, along with the conservatory, are the only areas without wooden floorboards.
1.2literary(ground/path) alfombrar literarythe meadows were carpeted with daisies — los prados estaban alfombrados / tapizados de margaritas
- Some areas are carpeted with thick mats of water hyacinths - mats so dense that herons and blackbirds walk across them and no boat can shove through.
- You can choose to follow the port side of the hull, which is carpeted with hard and soft corals sheltering dozens of fish species, or follow the stern round to the remnants of the rear deck.
- The tiny clearing was carpeted with thick cloves, so Cora laid all of the garments out flat to dry and hoped to enjoy the green fragrance.
- The trees were tall conifers, and the ground was carpeted with soft brown needles.
- The thick moss carpeting the trail welcomed each footfall as she wandered through the ancient wood.
- The deep, circular gully is carpeted with soft corals growing from the sandy floor, and sea fans and sea whips adorn the sides.
- The seascape, essentially of hard corals, is sporadically carpeted with colourful soft corals, sea whips, sea fans and leathery soft corals.
- Here, steep sloping sides are carpeted with colourful soft corals, table corals, sponges and whip corals.
- In the few places where sunlight had good purchase, patches of spiderwort crowned with their blue flowers carpeted the ground.
- The underwater topography in these areas usually consists of jumbles of boulders, carpeted with soft corals, which tumble down to sand at 30m and form caves, crevices and tunnels.
- Finally we stop for lunch, having found a small clearing, carpeted with lush, soft grass and lying near the stream.
- Olive groves were carpeted by these colourful flowers.
- The insects are forming thick clouds near the ground, and they carpet the inside of the car when the doors are cracked open.
- It's good damp autumn smelling weather with layers of orange leaves starting to carpet paths around the village.
- The path was not paved; it was carpeted in wonderful green grass.
- A smooth white blanket of snow carpeted the landscape in all directions.
- The main entrance was carpeted in a deep red thick carpet which also went up the grand staircase in the middle.
- I was surprised to find, in the northwest, a land of rolling green hills carpeted with flowers, olive groves and distant hills topped by a solitary farmhouse ringed with poplar trees.
- It has three entrances and is carpeted in colourful sponges and soft corals.
- Flowers burst from green stems, smaller splashes of colour carpeting the ground.
- The team's boss will carpet his midfield ace for his spat with an opponent in the heat of the Pride Park battle.
- He has been carpeted too, for pulling the hair of the other team's goalkeeping coach.
- There's a minister who today deserves to be cross-examined by his boss, carpeted, and possibly sacked.
2British informal(reprimand)(person) echarle una bronca a informal(person) echarle un regaño a Latin America informal(person) echarle una regañiza a Mexico informal(person) retar Southern Cone informal