Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1to give sb/have carte blanche — darle a algn/tener carta blanca
- The letter directs him to use his discretion, but he's given carte blanche to tell them whatever he wants.
- You are given carte blanche to tell people what you think, and as long as you don't actually stab someone, you will be pretty much forgiven.
- They were given carte blanche to come up with their very best model.
- As professional planters working for a wealthy proprietor, they were given carte blanche to transform the estate and a pair of dilapidated bungalows.
- Geoffrey Rush plays Superintendent Hare, who is given carte blanche to track down, capture, or if necessary kill Ned Kelly.
- George Benjamin has been given carte blanche to devise nine concerts for one of the world's greatest orchestras.
- Obviously being given carte blanche to choose a free book is a big responsibility.
- Most of Williams' dialogue has an improvisational quality to it - as if he was told the substance of his dialogue, but was given carte blanche as far as word choice and delivery.
- Even though chewing is natural and healthy, that does not mean that the dog should be given carte blanche and allowed to chew everything in sight.
- Within the hour I was provided with a car from a reliable car hire agency and was given carte blanche to go wherever I wanted to until my car had been repaired.
- McLaren approached Board producers and asked that Larkin be given carte blanche to make any film using the charcoal technique.
- Assistants and servants had been given carte blanche to run up bills in the town.
- At the same time we were given carte blanche, we could do what we wanted.
- The Maine Road chief will be given carte blanche to spend big, with the board confident their manager can fulfil his stated ambition to make the Blues a top six premiership club.
- Nor did this particular state-nobility compact always mean that the nobility were given carte blanche to extend their grip on rural society.
- Given carte blanche, Goldman decided to make style a priority.
- To be sure, he admits, individuals may sign up as they wish, but they also enjoy carte blanche to withdraw.
- Whatever action you may wish to take you have carte blanche to do so.
- Ministers are promising to take an axe to regulations governing schools, handing headteachers carte blanche to design the curriculum in their school as they wish.