Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1amento masculinecandelilla feminine
- Live oaks produce male flowers called catkins that bloom in hanging clusters.
- Some varieties shed pollen from the male catkins before the female flowers are receptive, and so require pollen from another variety with a later pollen maturation date.
- They also eat fruits, berries, twigs, leaves, catkins, and seeds.
- Pin oaks produce drooping wind-pollinated male flowers called catkins; the female flowers come in groups of one to three just as the leaves begin to unfold.
- In winter, they are most readily observed feeding in trees with catkins, such as birch and alder.