Learn English Grammar From A–Z
- Cellulose reacts with nitric and sulfuric acids to produce cellulose nitrate.
- The first cellulose resin, cellulose nitrate or celluloid, was invented by John Wesley Hyatt, who was trying to find a substitute for ivory in billiard balls in order to win a contest.
- As cellulose nitrate rots, it shrinks and becomes brittle, leaking toxic fumes corrosive enough to turn a reel of film into smelly gelatin ooze.
- A ‘cel’ is a sheet of cellulose nitrate or acetate on which an animator paints a cartoon figure or scene.
- Lacquering plants, processors of cellulose nitrate, oil companies, and public utilities are examples of companies where these tools were used.