The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
1Music Religionsalmodia feminineGregorian/plain chant — canto gregoriano/llano
- Although I enjoy chants and church music quite a bit, I had not, for some time, felt the need to attend a church service.
- At Milan, where at first he used to come to the cathedral to admire Ambrose's oratorical skill, he found himself not only impressed by the content of the discourses but also gripped by the psalm chants.
- Contrast was provided by alternating choral chant with passages sung by soloists.
- Perhaps as a moralizing subtext, Alexander piped in a recording of a monastic chant of Psalm 51, a prayer for the remission of sins.
- The first part consists of an antiphonal chant from the Service for the Thursday Preceding Good Friday.
- It's a style that characterises Byzantine chant, which emerged in the Eastern Church, and is continued in today's Greek Orthodox tradition.
- A noted musicologist whose interests include chant, medieval music and Tudor keyboard music, he has written many chamber and choral pieces.
- Symphony No 3 is a more expansive, more fully developed piece which emerged from a protracted period of study of chant and early polyphony.
- We must simply accept a phenomenon whereby the sheer beauty of sound in medieval chant has swept so many off their feet.
- He commented that he enjoys singing earlier music particularly, and mentioned chant specifically.
2(slogan)(of demonstrators) consigna feminine(of sports fans) alirón masculine(of sports fans) cántico masculine(of sports fans) canción feminine
- The rhythmic chant spread through the crowd of hundreds of thousands that filled Kiev's Independence Square on the evening of November 22.
- Shouts and chants went up from the crowd as the lights drifted nearer.
- And then they are off again, singing and repeating the chant over and over.
- Brass bands playing patriotic and national folk songs and Lebanon's national anthem were regularly drowned out by deafening chants from the crowd.
- One year, they brought mini-American flags to wave at the opening parade; another year, they shouted cheerleader chants at the first tee.
- We arrived about two hours early, and listened to various crowd chants.
- Concluding his speech, he led the crowd in a chant of ‘Crack down on corporate crime.’
- He says he's more than just an activist repeating a familiar chant.
- They can empty their pockets buying horns and noisemakers, singing songs, waving flags and shouting chants as if it is 1970.
- Pupils at a North Yorkshire school will be able to shout football chants in 10 languages by the end of the week.
- The 300 or so demonstrators were in a good mood, laughing, waving signs and banners, beating home-made drums, and, thank goodness, shouting some new chants.
- He was forced to flee the meeting hall under police escort as angry teachers shouted him down with chants of ‘liar, liar, liar’ and flung empty drink bottles from the gallery.
- I do not complain when the Montreal crowds start the chants but when it's Toronto I feel that they should really just sit down and shut up.
- York City football club in England has come up with a novel way of egging on the team: playing crowd chants taped from previous matches.
- He heard the crowd's chants for Cutler and it put fear in his heart.
- On February 15, I was out there with everyone else, signs held high and chants shouted.
- The sunlight shone across us as we repeated the pundit's chants.
- A chant ran through the crowd as the World Cup was brought onto the filed.
- Angry townspeople protested in the streets following the explosion, shouting anti-government chants and tossing rocks at security forces.
- They repeatedly led the crowd in a chant of ‘sign the bill!’
- If the death is a long prolonged death, then we like to chant certain texts, so that the dying person hears the name of God recited constantly.
- Nevertheless, it is customary for newlyweds to attend the local monastery later for a blessing and a simple ceremony in which texts are chanted.
- They sing devotional songs in praise of the lord, and holy texts are chanted throughout the night.
- They include an introduction to the history of the office, helpful instructions on to pray the office, and even guidance on how to chant the psalms.
- Cultures which chant their canonical texts have a natural tendency to develop at least two kinds of chanting.
- He wears a prayer shawl, chants a pilgrimage psalm, and says a blessing in Hebrew.
- The husband or wife chants a song of praise and lamentation (mourning).
- Priests chanted prayers and read from sacred texts as incense wafted from the corners of the temple.
- In this ceremony which literally means joining of hands the bride's right hand is placed on that of the groom whilst the priest chants holy verses.
- A yellow, smoky light filtered through as the priest chanted the opening prayers and made the sign of the cross.
- A monk will be hired to chant some Buddhist scriptures and perform a simple ceremony at the morgue instead of at a funeral parlor.
- Sound boxes blare devotional numbers, priests chant mantras and, as evening descends, one can find people of all ages flocking the pandals.
- People were still chanting part of the confession of faith in a mosque close to his parents' house.
- Tibetan monks will go around Paoma Mountain on the edge of the city to chant scriptures.
- He cleansed the water, scattered consecrated herbs, and chanted ancient incantations.
- Masses of people chanted prayers and made offerings to prepare for the first bath today.
- The Guru's followers were not required to chant Sanskrit hymns before stone idols, but sang hymns composed by the Guru himself in their mother-tongue.
- As the rabbi chants songs of mourning, Liz's casket is moved to a special area of the cemetery dedicated to terror victims.
- Then we begin stripping the altar and the entire chancel while the choir and the congregation chant Psalm 22 antiphonally.
- Participants were required to bring their Bibles to the services, where they would read passages and chant along with the pastor.
- Republican slogans were chanted and around 20 protesters attempted to hold a sit-down protest in the middle of the street.
- At recess, the teacher found a group of her girls chanting that slogan on the playground.
- They really are better at wearing the ribbons and badges, chanting the slogans and marching on the demonstrations.
- Young rebels chanted slogans such as ‘Don't give in to the authorities - make them give in to you’.
- He held his lead as the crowd chanted his name but could not prevent the inevitable as the older, stronger and more experienced man broke again.
- Some brandished sticks, banners and fists, others chanted slogans.
- Marty was obviously very proud when he was announced the winner, as was the crowd as they chanted his name.
- The protesting employees carried placards and chanted anti-government slogans.
- The crowd is still chanting his name, but he slips off and sleeps on the way back to London.
- The massive crowd of workers chanted calls for a national strike.
- Eddie faded slowly to his knees but fought back as the crowd chanted his name.
- The workers chanted anti-government slogans and condemned the rise in the cost of living.
- About two dozen teenage supporters were heard chanting and shouting abusive language throughout the first half.
- A gang was on the street, shouting, chanting and fighting among themselves.
- The young people joined in with the rest of the huge crowd singing and chanting all of the famous football songs and anthems.
- When the action gets good, the crowd chants in unison, fists pumping in the air.
- As the bands play, militant hippies outside, balking at the $14 admission price, chant for free music and clash bloodily with police.
- They come chanting songs, beating drums, blowing horns and whistling to spur on their heroes.
- There was a truck load of guys singing and chanting and another jeep of young girls in white national dress singing as well.
- The children formed a circle around her and began to chant the familiar hide-and-seek song.
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!