Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1(jingoism)chovinismo masculinepatriotería feminine
- It rests on aggressive xenophobia, chauvinism, fanatical imperial ambitions and fascist demagogy.
- I have no sense of, objectively, how great he is deemed to be in the canon - especially outside of England where parochialism, patriotism and chauvinism inevitably play their part.
- In fact, it was the aggressive chauvinism of the industrialists, the middle classes and the press which had created the climate that led inexorably to war, even among the Central Powers.
- Patriotism is chauvinism, no doubt about it, and Turton is ready to say so.
- A definite environment has been created of blind patriotism and chauvinism.
- Should I, this civic nationalist, disdain raw chauvinism, empathise with these nice, troubled young English people and remember just how badly they want this prize?
- But when we are busy condemning national chauvinism, religious hatred and war crimes abroad, it is no time to whitewash our own past.
- Nothing must be allowed to subvert the text; no optimism springing from political chauvinism or national frenzies.
- Why would I let a bit of nationalist chauvinism get in the way?
- And with intoxicated minds, nationalism can easily turn into chauvinism when it comes to judge other cultures.
- This ought be done very vigorously - without any concession to racial, national or cultural chauvinism.
- The Seattle protests were noteworthy for the relative absence of nationalism and chauvinism, but without the above perspective these sentiments have grown.
- All of them, deeply mired in nationalism and chauvinism, have squarely lined up behind their ‘own’ regime in its preparations for war.
- They would not be tempted by nationalism or chauvinism which could provoke regional instability, nor would they be tempted to develop and equip their armed forces with nuclear weapons.
- Instead of breaking the power of the clergy and the landowners and liberating the religious and national minorities, they relied on oppression and chauvinism.
- By depicting 1812 as a time when all Russians were comrades with a single goal, it expressed the idea of Russian nationality without arrogance or chauvinism.
- Nonetheless, they have nothing to do with chauvinism or nationalism and are based on the centuries old history of Russian statehood.
- These are gross exaggerations aimed at fanning chauvinism.
- Their investment in nationalistic chauvinism has dangerous implications.
- Separatism and the politics of nationalism and ethno-linguistic chauvinism are a trap for the working class.
2(sexism)male chauvinism — machismo