Learn English Grammar From A–Z
nounplural chokeys, plural chokies
1dated, informal(prison)chirona feminine informalcana feminine South America slangtrullo masculine Spain informalbote masculine Mexico, Venezuela informalgayola feminine River Plate slangporotera feminine Chile slangguandoca feminine Colombia informal
- Which then implies my guilt and before I could say ‘GrocerJack Robinson’, I'm doing a hefty old stretch in the chokey at the pleasure of Her Maj!
- He packed off the burglar for a lengthy spell in the chokey, and settled down for his third trial of the day.
- Herr Pfannenstiel served three-and-a-half months in the chokey recently for match-fixing in the local S-League.
- If not, he warned, the perpetrator could face years in chokey or even the death penalty.
- And as the latter carried a heavier alternative jail sentence, she warned Ms Kane that she faced more than one night in chokey when she returns for sentence next week.
2informal(imprisonment)he got three months' chokey — le dieron tres meses de chirona informal