Learn English Grammar From A–Z
- Once the barnacles extended their cirri (fanlike, food-gathering appendages) and started waving them about to collect nutritious particles in the water, the researchers cast a shadow over them with a piece of cardboard.
- Other common elements may include the possession of fixed conical teeth and cirri, or fleshy hair-like projections, on the head.
- The head is often blunt and typically adorned with tentacles or cirri.
- The diagnosis of this genus is largely based on features of the cirri and arms, and is thus of only limited relevance to the present specimen.
- The ventral nerve chord and nerve bundles of the maxillary cirri are indicated.
- The basic cloud forms are cumulus, which are heaped clouds; stratus, which are layer clouds; and cirrus, which are wispy.
- In the troposphere, water exists as vapor in air, as liquid droplets in clouds, and as frozen ice particles in high altitude cirrus clouds.
- The formation of wispy cirrus clouds is not a simple matter.
- Haloes can sometimes be a sign that rain is approaching, as cirrus clouds can mean that a frontal system is on its way.
- The arc isn't a rainbow in the traditional sense - it is caused by light passing through wispy, high-altitude cirrus clouds.
- Wispy cirrus clouds are the only ones that form naturally at the high altitudes where jets cruise.
- Thin strands of cirrus cloud glowed red as the sun rose.
- The lowest of these clouds is nacreous, which normally forms between 10 and 20 miles above the Earth (compared with ice cloud cirrus at around 6 miles).
- High cirrus clouds form white streaks across its surface and a number of dark storms act as flaws and focus for the eye.
- Over a distant horizon line, cirrus clouds fill the summer sky.
- Above us the boundless blue sky was punctuated with a few fluffy cirrus clouds and the sun shining down on all of it.
- Most halos appear as bright white rings but in some instances, the dispersion of light as it passes through ice crystals found in upper level cirrus clouds can cause a halo to have color.
- High, tropical cirrus clouds are made up of tiny ice crystals that float at altitudes from 20,000 feet to 60,000 feet.
- There have been few days without the presence of cirrus clouds.
- And from that perspective, you're looking at the very high cirrus clouds over the top of the storm.
- The purpose of the mission was to study cirrus clouds, to improve forecasts of future climate change.
- The persistent cirrus clouds indicate atmospheric turmoil at the levels where such control begins.
- There were some high cirrus clouds earlier and it looks like they're coming back, but, for the most part, it's just been beautiful.
- A few cirrus clouds floated by, turning dark and blue around the edges.
- I lay on the bed and watched cirrus clouds drift slowly across the sky.