Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1clampdown on sth/sb
- Both are concerned about restrictions and clampdowns on civil liberties.
- But fear and trepidation about the web also crept to the fore, leading to clampdowns and concerns about the internet's ‘potential for evil’.
- Many of the clubs affected are angry at the sudden clampdown.
- They will also be closely watching for announcements of any further macroeconomic measures to stamp out mainland economic growth, including clampdowns on investment in different sectors of the economy.
- The clampdown on spending comes after concerns about the relationship between parties and their donors.
- A great many members of the group have been similarly detained without charges during the government's routine clampdowns, the report said.
- We've heard plenty about welfare to work measures, about clampdowns on sole parents, disability pensioners and dole recipients that will be announced tonight.
- But both the centre-left and centre-right coalitions proposed heightened security measures and clampdowns on illegal immigration.
- His arrest on Sunday, along with 25 other members, was the latest in a series of clampdowns that began on 27 March.
- As is usually the case with these clampdowns, it is not a question of changing laws which are already in place but of choosing to enforce them.
- Previous clampdowns in south Manchester have resulted in 89 people being stopped in the past three weekends.
- This could lead to further clampdowns by police and insurers.
- A clampdown on speeding motorists has been launched in Keighley - the first of its kind in West Yorkshire
- This week police in Manchester launched a massive clampdown on mobile phone abusers fining more than 500 motorists.
- Since the clampdown started in July, the highest penalty imposed is £250.
- The security clampdown, authorised by the prime minister, was based on intelligence of a specific threat.
- He has said he suspects porn merchants are seeking revenge because of his clampdown on pornography on television.
- Why is there a sudden clampdown on people expressing their findings or thoughts?
- The security clampdown comes after the country was put on alert following reports of a threat at Heathrow airport.
- He fears that hardliners could initiate a conservative clampdown.