The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
Ver definición en Español de cognado
1relacionadoafínLingüística cognadocognate with sth — relacionado con algo
— afín a algo
— cognado con algo
- English mother and German Mutter are cognate words.
- There is an interesting but short section on the local adaptive value of cultural rules including dialects and cognate words.
- However, many linguists think he chose cognate terms too broadly to bolster his reconstruction.
- ‘Saxon’ is cognate with stranger in most Celtic languages, while ‘Welsh’ means foreigner in old Saxon.
- The Greek ‘graphein’ (to write) and ‘grate’, ‘grind’ and even ‘scratch’ are probably cognate etymologically.
- It's a very old word, with cognates in most Germanic languages.
- The word neshama is a cognate of nesheema, which means literally ‘breath.’
- More than a dozen words and cognates are employed throughout the Old Testament for beauty.
- The many lexical and grammatical cognates in English and Dutch probably give the Dutch learners of English a considerable head-start in the learning process.
- The successful bilingual readers also mentioned strategies specific to bilingual contexts, such as use of cognates and translating.
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!