The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
See Spanish definition of coma
- For one thing, the author has a nasty habit of separating sentences with a comma, when a semi-colon would be far more appropriate.
- In the realm of punctuation, a comma is used for a brief pause, a semicolon for a more moderate pause, and a period as a full stop.
- You make punctuation mistakes on a regular basis, particularly by using commas when semi-colons or full stops are required.
- His personal philosophy of punctuation is, ideally, to avoid all punctuation marks except commas and full stops.
- If the marked semi-colon does not join two groups of words that would make sense as separate sentences, replace the semicolon with a comma.
- He often used commas to end a sentence, he rarely capitalized proper nouns.
- I don't agree with the comma - read that sentence with the suggested pause and see if you still want it there.
- Out of respect for the opinions of others, I try to use apostrophes and commas correctly, but I'm less interested in the details of punctuation than in nearly any other topic I can think of.
- Others can have a list of values separated by commas.
- I once saw a three-line sentence with eighteen commas, which basically meant that there was a comma after every other word.
- As it is separated from the other words in the list by a comma on either side, it is identified as a separate deduction from the selling prices of the inventory items.
- In the areas of punctuation and usage, the Spanish language is much more flexible with commas, semicolons, and word order, and long sentences that would be considered run-ons in English are commonly acceptable in Spanish.
- May as well clump them all together in one enormous paragraph; separated only by commas.
- Besides the aforementioned substitution of stronger punctuation marks for the slight pauses produced by the commas, this passage in the second edition manifests other telling alterations.
- Missing commas and run-on sentences may not be a bad thing for teenagers engaged in writing-intensive online activity, says an English professor.
- I thank you all for reading, commenting, arguing and bearing with me while I figured out how to string words into sentences, and use commas, effectively.
- You should not end your sentence before you have a subject and verb appropriately placed, nor jam all your sentences together with commas.
- Byatt admittedly isn't in this league, but she does have a penchant for sentences with lots of commas.
- You don't need to know the 17 reasons to insert a comma into a sentence.
- And not using commas or question marks in the correct places at all times.
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!