The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
See Spanish definition of despectivo
1despectivodesdeñosoto be contemptuous of sth/sb — despreciar / desdeñar algo/a algn
- Has any country ever had a more arrogant, insolent, contemptuous leader than we have?
- The problem lies in a deeply disrespectful, even contemptuous, attitude towards women.
- They should be made to pay for their contemptuous and arrogant behaviour.
- He lacks the cold, contemptuous arrogance that would make Elizabeth - and us - hate him.
- He was contemptuous and sneering in pointing out that we were in the wrong carriage.
- He evaluates the host culture from his own perspective and approaches it with a condescending or even contemptuous attitude.
- His bitter frown transformed itself into a sneer and then a contemptuous smile.
- Even when you're contemptuous of such behavior, it is a fact of life.
- There was the abiding desire that they shouldn't play beneath themselves, be dishonourable or contemptuous of others.
- Imagine then how easy it would be to become bitter, resentful, contemptuous, angry and revengeful?
- It is contemptuous in the extreme, and such comments make it almost impossible to respond in a civilised fashion.
- Savagery and barbarism were contemptuous expressions used by ‘civilised’ people.
- The kids themselves flout this rule with contemptuous ease, but if a teacher catches them, they might well be in for it.
- He is ferociously contemptuous of people who distort the meaning of a document or the argument of a book or use the past as an adventure playground.
- They are also vaguely contemptuous of his beady-eyed negotiations regarding fees and wardrobe allowances.
- Most of the men seem to be intimidated by her, or at least, contemptuous of her because she's disingenuous.
- They are either totally ignorant or contemptuous of the fundamentals of a civilised judicial system.
- They are contemptuous of fundamental human rights and jealous of any source of power apart from their own.
- He was contemptuous of me for reminding him about reading the instructions - he didn't see the relevance.
- Those who aren't openly contemptuous often dismiss it as hilariously freakish.
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!