The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
Ver definición en español de focha
nombreplural coots, plural coot
1Zoologíafocha femeninofúlica femenino
- Other birds I saw near the pond were coot, moorhen, purple swamphen and a few Gray Wagtails walking around near the water.
- Of course, native birds such as the American coot, mallard, and Brewer's blackbird also used this valuable oasis.
- There are the usual species for this wetland habitat mallard, tufted duck, coot, wigeon, teal and mute swan.
- I remember being badly scratched and bitten by a coot which I had rescued one autumn night after it had dropped through a skylight of a house in Yarmouth, mistaking the glass for water.
- However, the American coot's most surprising defense against sneaky egg-layers is its ability to count.
- One Hickling nest was built on the top of an abandoned coot's nest and in water so deep that the keeper had difficulty in reaching it clad in thigh waders.
- Not even a coot presented itself among the boats and docks, but I finally saw an Osprey at a great distance.
- Overall, of the 10 coot eggs that were scored as similar to the host's, five were buried and five were accepted.
- When I first visited the Lake in July 2000, there were over 200 coot and great numbers of other birds, including 40 Black Swans.
- Herons and egrets swooped at our bow, and at night we moored alongside sand islands and among reeds and coots.
- Swans, herons, coots and oystercatchers are just some of the bird species recently observed, and fish have also seen in at least one of the ponds.
- Eagles and coots were collected and sent to the U.S. Geological Survey's National Wildlife Health Center in Wisconsin for examination.
- Among American coots, for example, chicks hatch already sporting a red head splotch, and when feeding their broods, parents consistently favor offspring with the reddest adornment.
- The typical concrete edge, the unhealthy pollution caused by too much sliced white bread and the overpowering dominance of aggressive species such as Canada geese and coots combine to turn them into lifeless wet deserts.
- A recent study shows that American coots are able to distinguish between parasitic eggs and their own, and are able to ‘count’ their clutch size.
- American coots also nest at quite high densities so there are more potential host nests available.
- For the celebration sweet foods were prepared from an abundance of eggs collected from the nests of coots and black-headed gulls and, in all likelihood, other marsh and water birds.
- The laundry pond had a few coots and a couple of moorhens.
- My passing further disgruntled gloomy herons slouching along the bank, and startled grebes and coots fussing around in ever contracting pools of water.
- Outside, coots and herons stalk the downtown canals.
2 coloquial(fool)silly old coot! — ¡viejo estúpido!
- I object to all preachy busybodies, including young coots like Roberts.
- That's why it's simply not wise for coots like me to look in a mirror.
- That's right, it was the CD release party for those lovable coots, The Scurvy Pirates.
- Well, then, what in the name of Abraham Lincoln are you coots waiting for?
- Can't those poor coots see that you don't know two cents about phrenology?
- Even if you're one of the cranky coots who loathe every nanosecond of the prequel trilogy, Clone Wars still qualifies as top-notch.
- Look, I'm the oldest coot in the business, but even I do not want to just keep reliving the past over and over.
- Why should the oldest coot in the majority party be the one who is in line for the presidency?
- So the Jerry and David conversations become warning sessions, not just between a ranting coot and an upstart kid but also between different generations of the same Woody.
- The stubborn coot had me trying for six months, during which I wasn't whipped once.
- But I hope you'll indulge an old-fashioned coot like me if I choose to believe otherwise.
- In a few hours, Uncle Ivan, a Mocha Frappuccino-loving old bald coot, was due to arrive.
- He was also an endearingly tetchy coot whose prejudices, passions, and irascibility remained uncompromised over time.
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!