The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
1(carne en conserva) corned beef masculine
- Cured meats like bacon, corned beef, ham and pastrami contain preservatives called nitrates that have been linked to stomach and colon cancers.
- Meat was preserved in tins in the Napoleonic period and known as bœuf bouilli, the origin of the English description of corned beef as ‘bully beef’.
- We had free school dinners and I loved spam fritters, sausage pie, stew, corned beef, or meat loaf, followed by pink custard and sponge.
- In the 1970s we ate pork pies, scotch pies, Spam, corned beef, cake, biscuits washed down with dilute orange squash.
- I was a war baby, brought up on Spam sandwiches with best butter, and corned beef.
- Your pantry is never without Spam, Vienna sausage, corned beef, and sardines.
- The corned beef pasty recipe comes from Joan, the mum of Mark Sargeant, my head chef at Claridge's.
- Repeat this process of layers (potatoes, corned beef, onion) until it reaches the top of the dish and finish with a final layer of potato.
- Not only was the room in a filthy state, the food cupboard contained just a tin of mushy peas, baked beans and corned beef.
- Mr Walsh said it is intended that some 400 tonnes will be made available as canned stewed beef and corned beef for use by charitable organisations within Ireland.
- Sometimes there would be a large pyramid of tins of spaghetti, baked beans or Palm corned beef and I would marvel at the symmetry and apparent stability of these tin edifices.
- Given the approaching hurricane season, and the fact that the public is always warned to store up canned foods, a favorite of which is corned beef, Mr. Gray was asked if corned beef already on island before the ban could carry the disease?
- Apart from corned beef, its most famous food item was a meat extract, a product that in Britain became the crumbly cubes we know as Oxo.
- And whereas the voluptuous Nigella Lawson urges us to cram down another piece of cheesecake, the petite and almost emaciated McKeith gives us a tongue lashing if we so much as look at Fray Bentos corned beef.
- The food was packed in cartons and included solid tablets of porridge which could be heated on a small stove with water, some corned beef, biscuits, and a few boiled sweets and seven cigarettes. this was enough to last a man for one day.
- It's no good giving them corned beef to tide them by because by the time you've inserted the key in the tab and twisted it half way round the tin, the sliver of metal gets thinner and thinner and snaps.
- He wonders whether the locals ever found any of his belongings washed up on the shore, but the wreck certainly provided them with a steady supply of corned beef during a time of rationing!
- While we eat sandwiches, the four Fijian men - their bodies sinewy and solid with muscle - tuck into cooked taro and tins of corned beef.
- We all feel safe in our own homes, though that's where an awful lot of accidents happen, and many people wind up in casualty as a result of trying to open tins of corned beef.
- I remember the brown carrier bag with the tin of corned beef and biscuits, but I did not have the large bar of Cadbury chocolate.
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!