Learn English Grammar From A–Z
- The lifetimes of the first ‘transuranium’ elements - such as plutonium, curium and californium - were very close to the values predicted by the liquid-drop model.
- Release of plutonium, americium and curium could occur from laboratory or industrial accidents.
- It is prepared artificially by bombarding curium with alpha particles in a particle accelerator.
- All isotopes of curium are radioactive with curium - 247 having the longest half life, about 16 million years.
- Kept secret until after the war, they were respectively called americium and curium.