Learn English Grammar From A–Z
- In the early 1970s, while in seminary, I wrote a seminar paper for Professor Glenn Hinson on the roles of deaconesses in the early church.
- What duties did early English Baptist churches assign to deaconesses?
- At this time she decided to become a deaconess in the Methodist Church and worked towards that end.
- They are the primary carers of children, collectors of food like coconuts and fruit, and also act as deaconesses in the church.
- She has also proposed a creative revival of the order of deaconesses that once existed in the Eastern Church.
- Huszagh is among church members advocating the reinstitution of women deaconesses in Orthodoxy.
- After a short introduction on the role of deacons and deaconesses, Swan relates the brief stories of sixteen such female ministers.
- Churches have a difficult time finding elders, deacons or deaconesses to serve.
- The assembly also set aside money to help deaconesses develop their ideas into new ministries.
- If females felt called to ministry within the church, many Anglicans argued, they should eschew the quiet life and devote their energies to the less fortunate in the manner of the deaconesses.
- To further support the position of the woman deacon being ordained, it is especially important to consider that deaconesses were ordained during the course of the Eucharistic liturgy.
- The ‘Conclusions’ of the symposium express a clear recognition that the deaconess was in fact ordained in a rite similar in structure to that of the male deacon.
- Behr-Sigel asks whether the ancient order of the deaconess could be restored since it has never been formally abolished in Orthodoxy.
- The titles of these ministries are varied: deacons and deaconesses, diaconal ministers, associates in ministry; some even lack titles.
- Deacons and deaconesses were appointed as needed to run the kitchen, the housekeeping, the garden, the farm, etc.
- The organizing of an association of Lutheran deaconesses with their charitable work for the weakest members of society required an increasing amount of attention.
- Not until the more affluent 1950s, with the introduction of deaconesses, would Baptist women gain formal recognition for home mission purposes and a Baptist Maori mission begin.
- Kaiserwerth was a new type of hospital operated by Lutheran deaconesses and was reported to be like no other hospital in all of Europe or the United States.
- He arranged for several deaconesses to work abroad, not only in North America but also in Russia, Estonia, and Bessarabia.
- Both authors raise the issue of restoring the long disused order of deaconesses.