Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1Lawletra muerta feminineto be a dead letter — ser letra muerta
- Why should we develop the common law to make the statute a dead letter?
- In many ways the law has become a dead letter in Israel.
- Some people are of the opinion that the 1689 Bill of Rights is a dead letter, but the law will need to be changed in order for this to be so; and this may be a long and tedious process.
- Second, international law will become a dead letter, to be broken by powerful states at will.
- The harsh laws against intermarriage became dead letters.
- By December 1941, when the United States entered the war, it was already convoying munitions to Britain, making most neutrality legislation a dead letter.
- Otherwise, it might be said with force that the normal rule is a dead letter.
- But the law is hardly a dead letter and Congress is not a toothless tiger.
- The Act was a dead letter from the start and was repealed by Gladstone in 1871.
- Unfortunately, he has let things slide; he has allowed the laws against immorality to become a dead letter, and the Viennese to do very much as they please.
- Any federal law is likely to remain a dead letter unless we have built those hundreds of robust place-based coalitions ready to monitor the law's implementation and use it as an organizing tool.
- A law of August 1806 abolished feudalism but it remained a dead letter until 1808.
- I might be thought unnecessarily punctilious in drawing your attention to a law which has become in effect a dead letter, and which you would probably not wish to reactivate in the absence of an incitement to criminal violence.
- The injustice was that the law had been allowed to become a dead letter, until suddenly without warning it was put into force ‘with the utmost vigour and severity’.
- Environmental law, just like any other, is a dead letter if not enforced.
- If this task simply ends up becoming paperwork, the law will turn into a dead letter.
- So it seems the 5th and 6th amendments to the Constitution are not dead letters after all, and those who cherish liberty can thank Judges Rosemary S. Pooler and Barrington D. Parker for reaffirming that fact.
- This is one of the reasons I'm uneasy about the entire Treaty having legal force - because all of the parts which talk about ‘sovereignty’ are effectively dead letters.
- The nations that wrap themselves most tightly in international law are actually those responsible for turning that law, and its aspirations for the world, into a dead letter.
- Unfortunately, the guideline made in the 1980s to control the height of new buildings has become virtually a dead letter.
2(undelivered letter)carta no reclamada femininedead-letter office — departamento de cartas no reclamadas
- Apparently they are working at the U.S. Post Office, in the dead letter department.