Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1(in tennis)deuce masculinecuarenta iguales masculine
- Federer was in the sort of form which took him to the Wimbledon title this year, with Blake staving off an amazing 19 out of 20 break-point opportunities, and surviving 10 deuces in one service game.
- They had a match point in the semi-final against the Cantrells, but Burdett served a double fault on the sudden-death second deuce in which this point is decisive under the rules of the competition designed to prevent drawn-out matches.
- I believe that happens during a deuce when the server has just won a point, and if he or she wins the next point the game is theirs.
- Capriati had chances to break the Myskina serve in a long fifth game, but failed to do so and paid the price in the next game when Myskina made the vital breakthrough after a sequence of deuces.
- Schnyder, serving for the match at 6-5, trailed 0-40 but held her serve after three deuces.
- The deuce of each suit is called the sow (die Sau).
- The dealer gave her a deuce and she jumped from fifth place to second place and earned $22,000 in doing so.
- Let's say everybody is dealt a bunch of small cards and the dealer has a deuce up.
- Likewise, if a good player with deuces showing is calling a bet by a pair of Kings, chances are good that the deuces won't lose because Aces over deuces or rolled up deuces are likely.
- All of the deuces and jokers are wild cards.
- The high-low deuces were introduced, and the multiple scoring (where strikes were counted apart from points) was devised.
- After the deuces are picked up, there is one more round of betting, then it's time for the surviving players to show their cards.
- In this version, both deuces of Clubs are removed from the combined cards.
- I looked down to find a useless deuce as my stranger and fired a bet out there, while positively holding the worst hand (still a pair of queens).
- The deuce of clubs starts - the holder leads it to the first trick.
- In some games certain cards are wild - either the deuces or a joker added to the deck - and in some games there is a cumulative jackpot which is won by a high hand such as a royal flush.
- If anyone goes out of cards during ‘the Count’, the game continues until someone is unable to play a deuce or an ace, and draws their cards.
- This can only be bid by the dealer, and is only allowed if the dealer holds the ace, king and deuce of trumps.
- Some players play with both jokers and with the deuce of spades as the third highest trump in the game.
- If a joker or deuce is discarded, it is placed crosswise on the discard pile so that it remains visible when other cards are discarded on top of it.
- But see, you never knew, because deuces became treys in the outer boroughs.
- Yet we don't count up two diamonds from the deuce and two from the trey, but treat each card as a complete unity.
- ‘Five Card Draw, deuces wild,’ David announced, deftly dealing out the cards.
- Betting big with a pair of deuces in Texas Hold 'Em could lead to a third deuce and a win on ‘the river.’
- At other times, it's always deuces when they aren't wild.
- My double-down blackjack bets drew deuces, the ball avoided my numbers in roulette like it owed them money, and if a player needed a card to beat me, then by God, that card was gonna come.
- If he should now throw 2 deuces for a total of 5, the player then throws all five dice for the third throw.
1where/what the deuce … ? — ¿dónde/qué diantre / demontre(s) … ? informal, dated
- In 49th Parallel, who knows what the deuce he is doing, other than turning in what I believe to be the only bad performance in any Powell and Pressburger film.
- Well, what the deuce are you waiting for, old boy?
- I'm back and now you can ask me: What the deuce is Deuce Bigelow: Male Gigolo, anyway?
- And when you feel so extremely a fool and a bad golfer to boot, what the deuce can you do, except throw the club away?
- Surprisingly, there is no recorded conversation along the lines of: ‘Who the deuce sent her that piano?
- You know I go to bed every night at 9: 30 and hate like the deuce to get up at 5: 30, though I expect I am getting fat.