The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
1(city/garrison) asediado(army/troops) en combate
- A tenuous peace deal between the American occupation forces and the embattled city of Falluja got off to a slow and sometimes chaotic start on Tuesday.
- We now learn that the unit will go through the embattled city after all.
- Rebellion after rebellion had to be put down and the embattled dynasty was forced to rely increasingly on Chinese militia as the standard of the purely Manchu units had declined dramatically.
- For some time, European nations have faced the task of incorporating migrants from these and other parts of embattled sites in the world.
- Just a mile from where Marines and rebels are busy killing each other in this embattled city, other American troops are getting on fine with locals, making medical house calls and sharing home-cooked meals.
- These sites were still towns, but very different from those of the 2nd century - no longer the local centres and garden-cities of a Romanising gentry, but heavily defended outposts of an embattled empire.
- After the landing, They were tasked with patrolling the coastal highway leading back to Beruit and knocking out any terrorists fleeing north or moving south to reinforce the embattled forces in Lebanon.
- An hour later the army relieves me of the decision by closing the embattled road.
- However, it appears that there has been a resurgence of narco-terrorism in that embattled land, particularly in so-called Liberated Territories.
- But if it keeps a clear focus it might achieve a way forward for our embattled province.
- Teenage fighters with rocket-propelled grenades and rifles lurked on bridges or in derelict areas near the main highway leading west toward the embattled town of Fallujah.
- The artillery attack was a violation of the unilateral cease-fire announced by the LTTE themselves to allow civilians to move out of the embattled zone, the statement said.
- Just as they did during the first siege of Falluja seven months ago, residents of the Iraqi town of Karma, most of whom have tribal ties with the embattled city, have rallied to the defence of their kinsmen.
- Agha's forces have been pushing from the south against Kandahar while troops loyal to former deputy foreign minister Hamid Karzai have been advancing from the north against the embattled city.
- Shehadeh's family live in the embattled town of Ramallah after being forcibly removed from their original seaside home in Jaffa.
- The goal now is for the West African force to deploy throughout embattled Monrovia, including rebel-held areas.
- On Friday, a cease-fire was announced - and immediately violated by US forces - to allow terrified women and children to flee on foot from their homes in the embattled city.
- South African officials said on Sunday they had made no offer of asylum to Haiti's embattled leader, despite reports that President Jean-Bertrand Aristide was headed here after fleeing his country.
- No wonder the embattled president felt able to declare icily that in the future: ‘I shall be a little more prudent, particularly in the choice of those people who work directly with me.’
- John Swinney, the embattled leader of the SNP, was last night facing a new crisis of credibility after two of his own MSPs suggested he should step aside because of his failure to make the party relevant to ordinary voters.
- It emerged last night that Ireland's national emergency plan for nuclear accidents has been under review for almost five years - three more than embattled Minister of State Joe Jacob claimed.
- The incident has had the nation abuzz - who kidnapped Dacer and why? - and is one more headache for the embattled President Joseph Estrada, currently mired in an impeachment trial.
- Now the embattled Minister, Amanda Vanstone, has unveiled an overhaul of the Immigration Department's processes, including improved health services for detainees.
- The disclosure will prove embarrassing to Jack McConnell, the first minister, who resisted calls to withdraw his invitation to the embattled president amid a series of corruption allegations.
- Though the embattled Minister welcomed the inquiry, the news that the ethics watchdog is to hold a preliminary inquiry has substantially increased the pressure upon him.
- Ahead, the three network anchors make a joint appearance, with Tom Brokaw and Peter Jennings offering support to an embattled Dan Rather.
- John Swinney, the embattled leader of the Scottish National Party, is facing a bitter struggle to push through a series of key party reforms that are seen as vital to his credibility.
- Blatter, the embattled president of the governing body, has had other things on his mind but, in Japan and South Korea, the co-hosts can think of little other than the World Cup.
- The embattled minister refused to be drawn yesterday on accusations that he had deceived the public before the election when he insisted that no spending cuts were planned.
- Venezuela's embattled President Hugo Chavez has also announced a last-minute decision to appear here on Sunday.
- As it approached the hangar, the sound system played the grandiose theme tune to Air Force One, a thriller starring Harrison Ford as a tough, embattled president.
- In the space of two years, Gilbert's reputation had changed from embattled loser to hardened survivor, and the word was out that he was looking for more acquisitions.
- Allies of Charles Kennedy last night rallied around their embattled leader as he pondered whether to sue over new claims his drinking has affected his performance in the job.
- Will the GOP electorate be so engaged when they aren't responding to so many attacks and supporting an embattled leader?
- She quit her government job after her boss criticized her embattled dad, and now she speaks out in his defense for the first time.
- An embattled railway executive from Scotland was last week in France.
2(citizens/politician) acuciado por problemas
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!