The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
1(flames/fire/waves) envolver(lava) sepultar(feeling) asaltarwar engulfed the country — el país se sumió en la guerra
- A deep, overwhelming wave of emotion engulfed me, and I felt tears well in my eyes.
- Overwhelming relief and joy engulfed Jason upon seeing her and he took a step forward.
- He recalled how just the sight of his daughter in the early years had brought his grief flooding to the surface where it had threatened to engulf him.
- The room was spinning probably due to lack of food and injury, closing her eyes to block out the sickness threatening to engulf her - it was hot in the room, really hot.
- Rose went and sat down, as the memories threatened to engulf her.
- My mind was sending too many thoughts, too many flashes and words, too much for me to take in, fatigue threatening to engulf me.
- Loren fought the feeling of helpless panic that threatened to engulf him.
- She would not allow herself to wallow in the misery that had been threatening to engulf her since his death.
- As she opens her son's wardrobe a wave of emotion engulfs her and her expression becomes a mixture of love and anguish.
- His infectious enthusiasm and energy engulfs players and supporters alike.
- Are these a coincidence, or has an evil force engulfed the town?
- Consider the unprecedented scenes of anarchy and chaos that engulfed Britain last Monday night.
- However, the country was soon engulfed in a bloody civil war in which one million people lost their lives out of a population of 14 million.
- Teachers, students and parents stood behind yellow police tape and watched dumbfounded as their school was engulfed in amber flames.
- After failing to get to the girls, Waddington ran from her home screaming to the neighbours for help just before the house was completely engulfed in flames and smoke.
- The bus driver and two passengers fled from the bus seconds before it was engulfed in flames in St George's Road, last week.
- In three minutes, the club was engulfed in flames.
- When the police arrived 20 minutes later, the bus was still engulfed in flames, which hampered rescue efforts.
- Within minutes, however, the entire city was engulfed in a torrent of rain - easily one of the heaviest in recent times.
- When they arrived on the scene, the house was engulfed in flames with the blaze having spread to the upstairs area of the family home.
- A woman was plucked from a car seconds before it was engulfed in flames.
- Its corridors were engulfed in choking smoke as the fire took hold.
- He said by the time he arrived home, his entire house was engulfed in flames.
- The place was already engulfed in flames when he and his roommate Jerome awoke.
- Mr Swales said flames were coming out of the front door and the living room was engulfed in fire.
- All of a sudden the place was engulfed in massive red and yellow flames.
- This caused a catastrophic flood that engulfed the whole island.
- The rain stopped and the sun crept out, engulfing the whole garden with its pale gold afternoon light.
- Pedestrians were stopped in their tracks and cars came to standstill as the huge blanket of smoke threatened to engulf the whole town.
- The family's terrace house was quickly engulfed in flames.
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!