The Top English Grammar Tips From A–Z
See Spanish definition of consumir
1(spend)to expend sth on sth/sb — gastar algo en algo/algn
- Massachusetts enjoyed a qualified success with its militia by expending money and energy on the effort.
- SInce the country has not yet become self-reliant in terms of energy, it still expends vast sums of money protecting energy supplies.
- Mostly, I am bitter that I spent so much time expending emotional energy towards ills that only existed in his mind.
- You will be expending money that could better be spent on policing, which is what the budget is there for.
- Under this sequence, the capitalist expends a sum of money M in buying materials and machinery and in paying wages.
- Why should they be expending precious resources and energy on saving these creatures?
- He was too weak to move very much, expending any energy he had trying to breathe.
- What has been established is that lies were told and that much energy was expended on ensuring that the truth never got out.
- The government tries to be a middleman but is unable to arbitrate, so a lot of energy is expended on political issues.
- All the creative energy is expended in hyping and sales, with none left over for the product.
- All mountain activity was postponed and eager skiers were confined to the lowlands and forced to be resourceful in finding alternative ways of expending their energy.
- Winning is all for the chess player, who expends enormous energy in each game he plays.
- Their findings suggest that self-regulation involves exertion, which expends energy, depleting the available supply and impairing subsequent task performance.
- As such, this country's democratic values are contradicted, and seemingly mocked, as it expends military energy to suppress those who strive for self-determination.
- Movement expends energy and can attract predators, and increased movement capacity may evolve only at the sacrifice of reproductive effort.
- A cup of coffee in the morning can increase performance, but too much coffee expends energy and can create long-term exhaustion.
- A photon gains energy when it falls into the gravitational potential of an overdense region, and expends energy when it climbs back out.
- While lipin in fat tissue influences the capacity of cells to store fat, lipin in muscle affects the rate at which the body expends energy and burns fat.
- This person is unassuming and fun; she expends great energy in giving detailed answers and sets no time limits or out-of-bounds topics.
- A developer expends money on the project before planning permission is granted at his own risk.
2(use up, exhaust)(resources/supplies) consumir(resources/supplies) agotar
Learning English? Read More About The Language Here!