Learn English Grammar From A–Z
1(violinist)violinista masculine, feminine
2British informal(cheat)tramposo masculinetramposa femininechanchullero masculine informalchanchullera feminine informal
- I have a recording of a very attractive violin concerto with fiddler Louis Kaufman and Bernard Herrmann conducting.
- All young whistlers, flautists, fiddlers and other musicians are invited to play a few tunes in what should be an informal and uncompetitive setting.
- The next week they toured Europe with a Bartok third quartet that had virtuoso fiddlers agape with admiration.
- There were nine members of the band in total; a stringed quartet, an Irish fiddler, a drummer, two keyboards (one being Will Gregory) and Alison.
- The band, consisting of a drummer, a piper and a fiddler, was playing a Torrencian song she knew, and she couldn't resist trying to join in.
- Czech players were once legendary for their instinctive musicianship, most notably the fiddlers.
- Scottish-born and one of their finest fiddlers and composers, Johnny Cunningham, died from a heart attack at his home in Manhattan.
- Set in a village, the tale describes how a destitute fiddler dies after entrusting his sick child and fiddle to the care of an old woman.
- Anyone who has listened to Hungarian fiddlers at a village fair, or a Finnish male-voice choir in a darkened wine bar at midnight, or a lone singer in a Somerset kitchen, can feel as close to paradise as with any professional.
- Pipers, fiddlers and dancing masters always made sure to stop off in Callinafercy and it was customary to hold a dancing school every winter with the Hanafins' barn selected as the perfect venue.
- It was originally written for fiddlers and pipers.
- It's as if - unlike Ives, where three different bands coming from their own starting points and going their own way might suddenly meet - more and more fiddlers, each contributing their own line, joined in a single dance.
- That icon among fiddlers Jascha Heifetz is also revered but from a distance, as a staggering technician whose performances Frank finds exciting but not especially nourishing.
- The glamorous Danish fiddler Nikolaj Znaider was the soloist in Brahms's Violin Concerto, a big concert opener, on the whole well played, though Znaider's slender tone occasionally sounded pushed to fill the space.
- The next night, Blazin' Fiddles brings together five of the hottest contemporary Scottish fiddlers, accompanied by guitar and piano.
- Arizona is a typical mountain girl who likes to grow flowers, sing, and square dance to the music of the fiddler on Saturday night.
- The eclectic mixture ranges from the contemporary classical playing of Chinese/American fiddler and violist Michael Chang to the punchy and precise traditional tunes played by Irishman Colm Naughton on the mandolin.
- Killavil's ageless flautist and fiddler Peter Horan was one of a number of top traditional Irish musicians who were introduced to the north Belfast dignitary in the Aras.
- More important, the idea that even the music of the fiddlers harkened back to a pure, early (read Anglo-Saxon) style was itself a fabrication of the 1920s.
- These days he tours with Carrie Rodriguez, an exceptional fiddler and singer in her own right.
- A dole fiddler uses benefit fraud to finance her passion for buying shoes.
- What a fiddler Keith is - he thinks he won't be caught but Keith is gonna end up in court.